Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dob base - kitchen worktop?

justin138

Afternoon all,

i have cut the base for my dob, 3/4" ply for the bottom bit and kitchen worktop for the top bit. It seems to me that the kitchen worktop, at 1 1/2", is too thick and too heavy as well. Plus, it has a horrible chipboardy looking edge to boot.

Has anyone used ply varnished with yacht varnish to ride on the PTFE rather than formica covered worktop? is it possible, or will the varnish wear away with the friction of the PTFE pads? Your thoughts please!

Cheers

Justin

Focus DIY sell 20mm worksurface £20 for a 3meter length. They also sell the black marble version (it's not called ebony star but it's similar)

Not sure about the varnished base board, I would say suck it and see, by the time the varnish wears away you will have thought of something else hehe

Thanks for that Gordon, I go past Focus on way to work so will pop in for a looksie. Only problem being of course, I only need a 50cmX50cm square so 3 metres is a bit much (did I mention I'm also trying to spend as little money as possible as well?!) Unless of course, I build some more scopes............... :shock:

Cheers

Justin

The other thing is that having a 30cm LP in between two pieces of 50cm ply, isn't that going to be a bit unstable? Sorry if I'm being a bit thick here but I really don't want to re-make it if it all goes pear shaped!

--------------------------------- Plywood

----------------------- LP

--- --- PTFE

--------------------------------- Plywood

Cheers

Justin

The most common arrangement I have seen is formica worktop for the base, with the teflon pads on the moving part. I am sure the arrangements I have seen with LPs use two LPs, and no teflon pads. You can get plastic edging, or paint the particle board edge on the formica top.

Well folks, have just tried 2 LP records between two bits of ply and am most surprised at how effective it is! Very smooth motion so will probably go with that, thanks for the heads up with that Arthur and WH.

(Just for the record :laugh: I used Rolled Gold - Best of the Rolling Stones and Sabotage - Black Sabbath, wife wouldn't let me use her Elvis records which I guess would be smoother still!)

Cheers

Justin

Archived