Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pen for blackening secondary edge?

acey

I want to blacken the exposed secondary edge on my Flextube. I've got some Protostar flocking, also some matt black paint, but I've heard that a marker pen is the easiest way - it certainly sounds the simplest.

Anyone tried this method, or can recommend a type of pen to use (or avoid)? Any tips would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're feeling a bit braver you can spray the sides and back of the secondary with Krylon Ultra Matt Black paint. Just place the secondary face down on several layers of soft kitchen towel and press the secondary down firmly and spray a few very light mist coats onto the sides and back of the secondary. There's no need to remove the secondary mirror from the vanes. With the addition of flocking the OTA it really helps contrast.

Here's a couple of photos from a LB16 that I did.

John

That's a very nice neat job! Mine doesn't look nearly so neat, but was a lot easier - I only dealt with parts having a direct light-path to the focusser, so I didn't need to remove the spider, either to blacken the top edge of the secondary or to flock the part of the tube wall visible through the focuser.

Archived