Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Inexpensive 20x80 binoculars

What sort of performance should I expect from inexpensive 20x80 binoculars? Some choices are:

Revelation Premium 20x80 (Telescope House) £89.99

Adler Jupiter 20x80ZCF (Pulsar Optical) £88.49

Is anyone using these binoculars and can comment about their performance?

I have the Revelation 15x70s and, at about £60, they have to be the best value optics I have ever bought. (And I have bought a lot!) I find they give a bright, sharp image with little coma and are a pleasure to use, with comfortable eyecups and excellent eye relief. I guess the bigger ones will be similar.

I did need to bolster the plastic tripod adapter though. I took some little steel bars and set them in the hollows of the adapter then filled the hollows with Araldite. A guest had done exactly the same thing - but rather more neatly! This works a treat.

Olly

I had a set of the Alder 15x70s and, going on the 1 sample I had, I wouldn't recommend them.

As said though, 15x70 is a great size bino, just about small enough to be hand held but giving much better views than 10x50s.

Archived