NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ6 binding in RA

tooth_dr

Hi chaps

I've only noticed this recently, since I setup the 10" on the mount. Basically I balance the scope really well, and when horizontal with the OTA pointing W the slightest touch with move it either way fing32.gif. BUT when I rotate it around towards E it seems to bind and get really stiff. It does not move freely and requires a little effort to move it on. Once round about 90deg more it is free again. Any ideas? The problem might only be evident now as before it only had a 6"+ED80 on it, and that was very little weight for the EQ6 esp in the RA axis. BTW dec is fine. I did have the EQ6 head off to get it machined to match the dovetail. Can these be fitted wrongly?

Thanks

Adam

it could be that the worm gear is too tight against the gear which it drives (sorry for the lack of correct terminology). Try moving the RA with the motor to a position where it moves freely and then try to rock the RA axis back and forth by hand to see if there's any play in it. I think there should be a little play to ensure there are no tight spots between the worm and the RA gear.

Alternatively, move to the point where it binds, then slack off the worm gear to see if that helps. But take care as it only needs minute adjustement between binding and having too much play.

Hi Adam,

I read on some site that the casting is not as good as would be ideal, this can cause high spots that rub on the side of the mount. I’ll find a link for you, this evening when I can get to my computer & its bookmarks

Regards,

Paul

Hi Adam

Here is the link I mentioned above, you may have to join the group to access it and that will take about 24hours max.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/EQ6/files/Rebuild_and_Adjustment_Tips/

I've found it to be a very helpful forum, it's sorted a couple of things out for me, as I got my EQ6 second hand :)

Hope you sort out your sticking soon.

regards,

Or you could wait for my new EQ6 guide :)

No that's all right, there's already far too many of them about, and most of them contradictory. It seems as if every second webpage on the net is a Synta mount adjustment howto.

Brilliant - if you know a good one with all the pics and insytructions let me know cos it might save me a bit of time working some of the stuff out. I had to do the HEQ5 blind as there wasnt a single guide out there that walked you through it.

Hi A_B - I'll look forward to the guide being produced by your good self

As for the mount, I've had it for just two years now so I'm concerned that this binding issue has only started since I've loaded it up with the 10" + ED80, plus 25kg of counterweights.. Prior to that I don't recall it being stiff to move when the clutches were unlocked in RA.

I'll check out those links above.

Regards

Adam

No that's all right, there's already far too many of them about, and most of them contradictory. It seems as if every second webpage on the net is a Synta mount adjustment howto.

:) Nice !!- NOT !

If anyone can do a comprehensive and accurate "strip-down/re-build" that everyone from eggspurt to even the greatest numpty could follow with ease it's AB.

GO GIRL!! I'm sure you wouldn't let a thoughtless comment such as this put you off !

HI A_B,

Totally agree with posts from Karlo & Kevin.

Your guides are always very thorough & we know they will work because you are a perfectionist, so won't post until it's right. :eek:

Unlike some around :)

Keep up the great work, we very much appreciate it. :(

Regards,

Well this weekend is the big one guys, take someone elses EQ6 to bits and hopefullyt not bust it in the process :)

As per the HEQ5 it will be photgraphes for each step and written up like a Haynes guide so it should be easy as possible to follow.

It may take a week or so to get the pages online and as soon as they are I'll let you all know so you can point out any errors or stuff. That way the guide will be tight so other people dont have to stress or kick their cat through a window :(

Archived