Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Mars drawing

Mr Spock

I've never really bothered with drawing planets before, being mainly a lunar observer, but a few weeks ago Mars looked really tempting.

I used a 250mm Newt with a Vixen 4mm NLV (x300). I found the polar cap amazingly bright, but then this is my first view of Mars through the 250. There was an odd looking light area lower left (not drawn very well) which I didn't expect to see.

Sadly, my drawing skills leave a lot to be desired. Hopefully I will get a little more practice when the weather clears.

post-18817-133877429779_thumb.jpg

Yes, an excellent first Mars drawing.

On my drawing made on the 19th, I observed a very large bright cloud in the same position as that shown on your drawing,

in my case it turned out to be a large cloud over the Amazonis region. Just recently there has been some lovely bright clouds on the planet.

I like that very much Mr Spock! You've captured alot of good detail on the planet really well. I was out that night, and at that time. My sketch matches quite closely with yours.

I too picked up on the brightness that you mention near the limb. The darker areas you captured on the central portion of the disc correspond well with Euxinus Lacus (left), Propontis I (lower right) and Trivium Charontis (upper right).

You did very well getting the two upward protrusions in the collar around the polar cap too. I only just made them out that night. :)

You have caught more detail in your 10" scope - I am thinking of upgrading to a 10" - who made your scope ??

The scope is a Skywatcher 250 - a much better scope than its price tag would suggest. My OMC-140 deluxe cannot compete on fine planetary detail, though it has better airy disc control.

Archived