Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can't see anything but the moon

Hi Guys,

I have a Meade ETX-60 with a Logitech Quickcam Pro (doctored). I have taken some brillliant images of the Moon, but can't see Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, the Seven Sisters. The list goes on (well, I can't see anything but the moon). I have tried adjusting the Gain, exposure, I have fiddeld with images and run them through deep sky stacker, but nothing. The image is definitely in the eyepeice, I can see it, but when I insert the webcam, there is nothing.

Have you any suggestions?

Even little things may help!

Thanks

Ben

You should "see" Mars and Saturn with that camera (Jupiter is pretty much gone for this year). Are you sure you have them on the cameras chip? The chip is very small and getting it 'close enough' in the eyepiece first isn't always good enough, it has to be pretty much bang centre.

Have you made any of the EP's parafocal with the modded webcam... as well as the alignment issues that Gaz has mentioned if the focus is out the diffuse images of the planets can be very faint...

I used to use a cheap 8-24mm zoom EP when trying to get planets onto webcam chips start at 24mm then zoom down whilst keeping the target in the FOV then swap over to the Camera (which is going to have a FOV equivalent to an EP of around 6mm FL )

Peter...

The 7 sisters are relatively faint when compared to the planets and (I'm guessing) would need a decent amount of exposure time and to be in focus to show up at all on the chip (cheers Peter, I'd forgotten about that!!).

I'd practise on Mars for now before moving onto the likes of the Seven Sisters, you'll still be able to it see OK some way either side of focus and in short exposures.

When you say the Quickcam is "doctored" do you mean it has long exposure enabled or just that it has an attachment to connect to the telescope?

I have a quickcam 4000 pro and i've been amazed how objects can become almost invisible bcos they are way out of focus. I would suggest having your settings at maximum brightness after focusing the image in a 5-10 mm eyepiece. The other night i had mars in focus on the quickcam then added a barlow lense and could not find Mars for toffee until i could just make out a ghostly circle. If your finderscope is not set dead on target then you've virtually no chance.

It might be worth investing in a flip mirror system that has two 1.25" connections on it. You can put your camera in and eyepiece at the same time and they can be both focussed individually. You can easily flip the mirror see the target so you can check it is centered properly then flip back to the camera to take the image.

As the others have said it will be difficult to take any images of DSO's as the web cams exposure length is very short and will only really work on planets and the Moon.

Regards

Kevin

I think the ETX 60 has it built in if you use the Webcam on the Rear cell and an EP in the top port...

From the manual... http://www.meade.com/manuals/TelescopeManuals/ETXtelescopes/ETX-60-70AT%20manual.pdf

14,15 - Cellback containing Flip-Mirror and Flip-Mirror Control Knob

- ETX telescopes

include an internal mirror. With the flip-mirror control in the “up” position, as shown in

Fig.

2a

, light is diverted to the eyepiece. With the flip-mirror control in the “down” position, as

shown in

Fig. 2b, light proceeds straight out the photo port for photography. See

“PHOTOGRAPHY WITH THE ETX,” page 23.

NOTE

: The flip-mirror control is in the “up” position when the control is vertical

(perpendicular to the telescope tube). To place the flip-mirror in the “down” position,

turn the control counterclockwise until it stops.

16 - Photo Port

- Attach any 35mm camera with a removable lens to this port using an

optional #64ST T-Adapter or attach the #933 Erecting Prism for correctly oriented images

through the eyepiece. See “OPTIONAL ACCESSORIES,” page 25.

What youd need is a way of using a 1.25" push fit on the rear cell....

Peter...

Archived