Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Geniune Ortho with glasses?

It depends on the focal length.

I've used a 9mm ortho with my glasses, but it was tight, and for anything shorter it's not possible. For the 12.5 and 18mm ER should be okay.

Observing without glasses is a little bit of a hassle, but unfortunately ones possibilities are somewhat restricted if you have to wear your glasses to observe.

However, WO SPLs, TMB/Burgess/Telescope Service Planetaries, and TV Radians all offer a good range of high-power focal lengths, excellent performance, and most importantly, excellent eye relief!.

Andrew

thanks for your replies. My eyesight is getting a bit poor so I think I need to be using my glasses to help bring out the detail. It looks like the TMBs are the cheapest decent option with good eye relief, but seem to be a bit rare, particulaly the 8mm which will give about 250x with my 8" SCT.

Teleskop service are selling these, apparantly designed by TMB, but they look different to the genuine TMB eyepieces.

Eyepiece Planetary 8 mm, 1,25", premium,designed by TMB on eBay (end time 13-Mar-10 14:20:20 GMT)

what do you think?

Please be aware that only if you have severe astigmatism, your telescope will be able to correct your eyesight - it's just a matter of getting the focus right. I am severely shortsighted (-6 in both eyes), but mostly observe without glasses. It does need a minor re-focus when I take them off or put them on, but then it's just as sharp.

The eyepieces you link to are not as good as HR version.

I have the 7mm HR, as well as the new 6mm TMB Planetary-II, and as far as I can see, those two perform equally well.

Andrew

thanks Andrew. If only there was a break in the clouds, I could do some tests with and without my glasses!

I can't remember my prescription, but I'm a bit long and short sighted. I don't wear glasses for driving and can read close up, but as I use a PC a lot I eventually get a headache and glasses help a lot with both near and far objects. I admit I haven't tried my glasses with the scope yet, but I suddenly thought the other night that perhaps I should be wearing them.

Hi Sgazer

As Andrew said, if you are long or short-sighted you may not need glasses.

A good eyepiece would be a 12.5mm Ortho. This could be used with or without glasses as the eye relief should be long enough, and the x160 is a good mag for average conditions.

Cheers

Ian

hmm, it's got me looking at all the "glasses" threads now! Am I correct in thinking that unless I have astigmatism, then adjusting the focus will correct for my long/short sightedness?

Perhaps an Ortho will be suitable for me afterall.

Archived