Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice please: Modded 350D or Vanilla 1000D

So I've got the chance to pick up a secondhand modified 350D... My initial plan was to get a new 1000D, and then maybe at some point when funds allowed get it modded. But the ready to roll 350D is very tempting.

What do people think about the trade offs between the newer model in it's standard configuration and the rather long in the tooth, but astro modified one?

The big thing for me is USB control of exposures so that I can image in a more automated fashion. Liveview on the newer one is nice, but I'm not so sure it's essential, am I wrong about that?

Thanks for any advice on this :)

The live view and only one USB control for long exposures is very interesting.....

In the meantime I continue to use a modded 300D which although they say is "noisy" compared with the 50D/ 1000 is still very good for what I do.

Bang per buck there's still life left in the 300/ 350D series especially modded....

Ken

I May be biased here Sam, I have a 1000D, I did the Mod. myself with Baader filter, to keep the camera useful for both disciplines.

What you will pay for a 350, is a sum that takes you nearer the 1000D.

If you have the patience, I would wait. Not to in any way diss. the 350, it is known to have produced some great stuff. Software Control of the 1000D is great too. Live View is a bonus, more for framing, of the brighter objects. Not so sure it aids focusing, but again, brighter stuff maybe.

On the Modding, if you are a patient guy, and confident, and prepare properly, the job is not all that difficult.

The step by step guide by Gary Honis is very explicit, and easily followed. Would save you a bit of cash too.

Ron.

Heh heh, so one all atm then!

Ron, how much is the filter replacement should I be brave enough to attempt it on a 1000D? I've glanced over Gary's instructions, and it looks like a right old job! :)

And Ken, I understand that even one of the "noisier" Canons will be a damn sight better the the Nikon I'm currently using...

Any advance on?

Strange all this :), when I joined SGL 3yrs ago having an LX modded W/cam and/or a modded 300D/350D was considered state of the art !

I like my modded 300D, still think it's got loads o' life left in and TBH Sam modding that looks sooo much harder than the 450/500/1000 D since they don't require any soldering !

Having said that twere it me I'd mod the 1000D like a shot- live view mate, what a boon that must be ! PLUS = ONE controlling USB !!

Heh heh, so one all atm then!

Ron, how much is the filter replacement should I be brave enough to attempt it on a 1000D? I've glanced over Gary's instructions, and it looks like a right old job! :)

And Ken, I understand that even one of the "noisier" Canons will be a damn sight better the the Nikon I'm currently using...

Any advance on?

The Baader Filter cost £56.

Ron.

I have a 350D and a 1000D and quite a few other DSLR's

I reckon it depends how your going to use it...

It cheap and easy to knock up the serial control cable needed for the 350d to do long exposures...

Liveview is great if the camera isn't going to be tethered to a PC whist imaging otherwise shhot and review on the pc mointor is ok and if used with a bahtinov mask and bahtinov grabber even better...although livewiew images can be displayhed on the pc as werll and used with the mask and software...

Noise wise... the main difference is the total lack of ampglow with the 1000D and much lower noise levels in general... both can be overcome with the 350D using darks... you just need more of them and more closely matched temperature wise than you do with the 1000D

Peter...

T

Ok then, so a 1000D is getting a lot of love... But how will it do with the standard IR filter? I'm not sure I'm confident enough to do the mod myself, so it would need another 200 notes spending on it down the line. It's not going to be any worse than my unmodded Nikon now is it? In fact it should still be an improvement beacuse of the lower noise, and amp glow etc. And it'll be properly supported by lots of software...

Archived