AstroAdventures near Bude

dobserver

We just got back from a fab week at AstroAdventures near Bude. There are two wooden lodges for hire and you get the use of an imaging observatory (the dome) and a 20" Dobsonian (in the roll-off roof shed) for the duration of your stay. My avatar shows me using the beastie. Needless to say the equipment kept both Carl and myself out of mischief, for the dark part of the week at least! :eek:

It was amazing using the huge dob, a bit disconcerting going right to the top of the stepladders, but they were proper jobs and felt very safe. We got to view for 5 out of the 7 nights, so not bad considering the forecast for the week! :)

Carl has come home with some great data for processing. He was impressed with the dome that housed the imaging gear - very interesting design. The dob is housed in a roll-off roof obsy, and I was able to set up and pack down on my own, which was a bonus. :(

The setting is fabulous, down tiny white roads in the middle of nowhere, a very dark site, perfect for DSO spotting. There's a kid's play area and a pool in front of the lodges which would be fantastic in the summer...the kids did jump in one day, but soon got out again!!

The owners, Tony and Murray, were very helpful, and once they were happy that we were competent with the equipment they just left us to it. They do offer more guidance for beginners, at an extra charge, for those just starting out in the hobby.

We were lucky enough to have some great company while we were there too. Paul (Sponcom) and family stayed in the other lodge, which was great, and Rob came for a couple of days with Nelson (rekindling the love story between him and our Jasper). It was great to have an observing buddy to share the viewing with, and Carl got some great processing tips too.

The cost is very reasonable, depending on the season. We'd love to go back again - maybe one day.....

post-17171-133877428655_thumb.jpg

post-17171-133877428663_thumb.jpg

post-17171-133877428668_thumb.jpg

post-17171-133877428677_thumb.jpg

post-17171-133877428686_thumb.jpg

Hi Mick, yes it sure is a lovely setting.

I most certainly did not go swimming - they had tp break the ice on top of the pool the day before we arrived!! It was pretty funny seeing these two blue children running around! Brrr....

I'm going to post a report of the best night's viewing, but M42 was just stunning through it. I kept on going back to it at every opportunity.

Oh that's a shame! I thought we might be going to suffer the same fate, so on the second night, when there was a break in the cloud, we got it out to look at M42. I kept telling myself I would be happy just to be able to say I had used it. With hindsight that probably wouldn't have been true....and I am very glad to have been able to use it as much as we did. I'm not normally so lucky... :)

I have to say it really was a fantastic week and when the sky was clear the Milky Way just popped out of the mass of constellations in the sky. It was also easy to view very low down and Cygnus was easily seen at the very early hours. A big thank you goes to my wife for organising this....

Archived