Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally..

Talitha

:eek: Well, i got my first look at Mars last night, can you believe it? :evil6:

The cold temps have prevented me so far this winter... you know how it goes, they bottom out as soon as it gets clear. But it was nice enough last night (-10C) to go out for a few hours and as it turns out, the seeing wasn't too bad either. I haven't been feeling well lately though, so instead of setting up the big 8"SCT, the smaller 120ST was used. At f/5 it's definitely not intended for planetary work but the WO VR-1 filter helped.

There was time to get a few DSO sketches done while Mars climbed the eastern treeline, the top of which is about 45 degrees up from the horizon. TBH, i wasn't really expecting too much from the richfield frac as far as Mars was concerned, but the scope really surprised me. Understandably, the subtle planetary details couldn't be seen (120x) but the NPC was absolutely brilliant and the dark rim encircling it was seen very clearly.

Not much of a view/report, but if the sky holds out till tonight i'll give it another try but this time with the 8"SCT. The seeing is predicted to be 'good' instead of 'average', so hopefully i'll get to see a bit before the clouds roll in.. keep your fingers crossed. :D

hi carol

-10 thats pretty chilly, but i suppose it gets a lot colder

in your neck of the woods.

a mild -8 is the lowest i have observed in

hope you get to turn the sct on it soon

my C8 will turned to mars tonight want to get the tal 100 on it as well , the forecast is looking good at the moment ,temp only dropping to a girlie -3

clear skies

lance

Hope you don't mind me gatecrashing, but I had a finally tonight too!!

Finally saw Mars on my own scope tonight (seen for the first time on Beds Astronomical Soc. 16" Meade last Wed).

But the biggie for me tonight was seeing Saturn fr the first time, about 30 minutes ago. It was incredible, and although i only saw it as a white disc with the rings in a very shallow plane (could only get 100x tonight) it was pin sharp and breathtaking.

Won't forget that sight in a hurry, I haven't got Goto, so it was even more exciting lining it up in the finderscope then it swinging into view on the main scope. Perfect!!

Cheers!

Hi Stampy, i don't mind at all.. nice to meet you! :eek: Congrats on your sightings, i absolutely agree about Saturn.. what a gem! How did Mars look through the 16"?

I should have mentioned that this wasn't my first time seeing Mars, just the first time this year. Sure wish it would have been this high in altitude for the Aug 2003 opposition .. what a show that would've been.

Btw, what kind of scope do you have?

Considering that the cloud was present most of the night and we saw Mars during clear periods, not bad at all!

It was showing its less interesting side, but you could still make out a cap, and some dark detail directly underneath it.

I have a relatively small reflector, a Tal 120, bought mainly so that when we go to our place in France, it fits in the car ok, although I'm currently planning to build a larger truss tube dob.

I eventually got away with 200x last night once Saturn got a bit higher, could just about make out some banding on the surface.

Archived