Some Good Targets For Tonight

hi Kelly

I presume like me you are new to all this?

see my thread http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/96603-messier-targets.html

which gives great help to finding the brighter clusters and things - the Messier list.

I'd suggest M44 the Beehive cluster which can be easily found with binoculars - find Mars overhead at about 10am, look with the bins down a bit and you'll see the cluster. great with a low power eyepiece. M67 is a little lower down and harder to see but just about visible in binoculars and again nice in the scope.

if you have a good view of the west then Seven sister are obvious and high - like a mini plough.

again with Binoculars, you could try M35 which is down and to the right a bit from the two main stars in Gemini - look at the link above and you'll see it.

the three clusters in Auriga M36, 37 and 38 are also easily seen in binoculars and good in the scope.

I'd highly recommend a telrad or rigel quickfinder by the way or any other red dot finder - I have the rigel and it really helps initial positioning of the scope.

hope this helps and gives you a few to aim at!

sorry if I have pitched the advice at a low level but it's in the best intentions as I still need directions like this!

Archived