Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Barlow Lens problem

juleshooper

I recently acquired a Kson 2x achromatic barlow from a friend. I am aware that it is not particularly good quality. Nonetheless I assumed that I would be able to see someting through it.

I have tried using it with some celestron eps but I can see absolutely nothing through it.

The only way I make anything out is to pull it right out of the ep holder so it is sticking out about an inch and a half. It is then very fuzzy and obviously this is not how it is designed to be used.

Have I completely missed the point of using a barlow lens? I assume I am being thick as surely no company can produce something so rubbish and then sell it for £25?

;)

Thanks for any advice,

Jules

Hi Jules

A warm welcome to SGL.

Trying new equipment can be very frustrating especially when it doesn't seem to fit. Unfortunately there are many different designs of scopes and many more different designs of eyepieces ... and so on. In order to reach focus, the 'eyepiece' has to be at a particular distance from the scope. Exactly what that distance is and where it is measured from is again a function of the type and design of the scope. That's what you're experiencing in only being able to reach focus with the EP positioned further out. In order to get around this issue, manufacturers sell a range of adapters and extender tubes to reach focus

Have a look here .....

Adaptors - Two-inch Focus Extension tubes

HTH

Steve

I've got a kson 2x barlow.

It gives very poor views. I dont even keep it in my eyepiece box any more, for me it doesnt give anywhere near sharp focus and has a lot of chromatic problems. So even if you sort out the problem with your out focus - you wont get much joy from the kson barlow.

It's not just my barlow that has the issue, a friend has one too with the same issues

Archived