Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Hampshire

gregnorth1982

Hi all,

My name is Greg and I'm an alcoholic...err...newbie astronomer. Just a quick post to introduce myself, I'm based in Southsea and I've always loved searching the night sky with my binos but never known a great deal about what I'm looking at. A couple of months ago I got myself an SW 150P and a few upgrade meade 4000 ep's to look a little deeper and with the help of you lot, improve my knowledge somewhat!

So far I've loved what I've seen...and apparently 2 of my friends did too, as they've just got scopes of their own!

I've been a keen photographer for a number of years as well, and now starting to look into astrophotography (all I've managed so far are a few images of the moon and sun). I've got a canon 1000d and apparently thats a good dslr to image with?!? I guess the fact it has live view is helpfull but any info/suggestions on how I go about imaging anything other than the moon and sun would be helpfull!

In the near future I plan to make a decent pier in the garden to cut down on wobble...when that happens I'll post a few pics and a DIY if it works...!

...also If anyone has a motor drive for an EQ3 and or polar scope they don't need...I'll happily part with cash when my pier is setup!

Cheers all,

Greg.

Thank you all for your welcome,

Breakintheclouds, maybe you are right...astrophotography is probably a bit much too soon...i'm just slightly over keen!

Leegsi, apart from clanfield, you know any good dark sky spots? If you fancy teaching me a thing or two about the sky i'm a local willing pupil!

Thanks again all.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Have a look at the Meon Valley area, around Winchester Hill or anywhere between Droxford and Winchester city.

Nice dark skies round here - better than Clanfield. Lots of good pubs too ;)

Was down your way last weekend doing the dockyard tour, Victory is amazing every time I see it.

Thanks for the advice,

Both Meon and New forest are going to be miles better than Southsea! I must admit I can see a lot more than I was expecting from my garden though (none of my neighbours have insecurity lights which helps!)...however...I'm looking forward to a dark dark sky!

Thanks again!

Archived