my new telescope

:confused:hello

ive just brought a celestron astromaster, i have seen the moon perfect through it and i can get stars, the problem is when i see a planet i seem to get a cross in the middle of the lens blocking the whole veiw its very annoying, ive been told the focus might be bad but why can i see the moon so good? has anyone ever had this or no how to correct it???

Do you see a cross of light extending from the planet? Or does the cross block the planet?

If your scope is a Reflector/Newtonian and you see a cross extending from the planet (4 rays of light) but still can see the planet thats the diffraction effect caused by the spider (spider = structure that holds the secondary mirror in place). If that's it then it's normal. You can reduce the effect by baffling the spider vanes with proper paper and using EPs that reduce glare and are well baffled them selfs.

If it's a different matter then I can't help cause it never append to me.

Hey, if you seeing a cross in the middle of a planet like say mars, then it sounds like you are out of focus, as if you are not in focus then you see the disc shape and a cross in the middle of the spider vanes holding the secondary mirror, it should go when you get focus.

Do you re-focus when you change targets or when you change eyepieces, as you need to do this. Best thing to do is locate a planet and wind the focuser in and out a few times, watching in the eyepiece to see what happens with the image, as you should find as you get to the sweet spot of focusing, the cross will disappear. Dont expect to much from Mars, as the viewing is not the best showing as a bright light.

This should help you get used to your scope and find the sweet spot of focusing it. Hope this helps.

Hi,

Yeah I agree it sounds like a focus issue. I had a similar problem when I first used a barlow. I could scroll the focus wheel from limit to limit without finding focus, so I moved the barlow out a little, secured it with the locking screws and then I was able to focus. If you aren't using a barlow then I'm stumped I'm afraid.

Hope you get it sorted,

Greg.

hi i've tried focusing it all the time but the cross is still there, when i look through it in daylight or at the moon its not there, i it is normall with this kind of telescope does anyone recomend a different telescope that hasen;t got this cross?

Archived