Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX questions

This is my first post and I am a total newbie so please excuse my lack of knowledge. The amount of equipment out there is mind boggling to say the least :)

I am looking to buy my first telescope and the Skywatcher Skyliner 250PX looks like it should do the job. The plan is to buy just a scope and add a tracking system later when I can afford it. The question is, does anyone make a tracking system to fit the solid tube Skyliner? Also will my Nikon D70S camera attach straight to it as it has direct SLR camera connection?

Thanks for looking

Great first choice of 'scope.

If you're going to be trying deep sky photography, the dobsonian isn't well suited. You really want a separate rig which is based on a solid mount - HEQ5 or EQ6 - the mount is the most important thing for imaging. The mounts alone cost almost 2x the cost of the 250px.

My suggestion - get the PX, a decent finder (telrad) and a star atlas and just enjoy observing for a while....

I have the Orion 10 inch dob, very similar scope both made by Synta, same size as the scope you have in mind and it is great. Mine does not have tracking either but I'm not interested in imaging and its just fine for me.

If you want to image with the 250PX, then you will have to upgrade the focuser to allow greater inward focus for imaging....i got a 2nd hand moonlite as i have the same scope and it works a treat, just need dovetail and ota rings now to mount it to the eq6.

Hi

I have the 250px dob and then bought an EQ6 Synscan for it. I have to say its a wonderful scope (your being quite spoilt for a first scope :-D). Expensive as it may be, the EQ6 synscan is a wonderful peice of kit that you'll probably keep for life, capable of swinging round just about any scope you plonk on it (under 12"). It compliments the 250px well and ideal for photography. Here's my rig for observing.

I didnt need to replace the focuser, I bought a low profile adaptor that solved the inward focus issue.

Cheers

Matt

Thank you so much for your help guys :) I have taken on board all of your comments and think it’s best I forget about the photography for now. I have spoken to a gentleman today who lives locally to me. He has been an amateur astronomer for some time and has been kind enough to invite me over to his place for a chat. I look forwards to what he has to say.

I am still trying to get my head around what’s gonna be the best “budget” option for me…..

Once again…. Thanks guys ;)

Archived