Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skymax 127 MAK

Hi,

I've seen a Skymax 127 MAK on AZ GOTO SynScan mount and it's got a 4mm EP with x2 Barlow. Now I'm not too sure how good that would be especially as it'll be quite a high magnification on a GOTO mount... (shaky image etc)

anyone had any experiences of this?

Is it something to go for or not really worth it?

Standard EP of 10mm and 25mm are already included and the Barlow and 4mm are provided free of charge.

The scope/mount are certainly worth going for. The scope especially is a real gem. However the 4mm is of no use with that scope. That would give 375x which is well beyond what a 5" Mak can deliver.

Russ

the highest practical power on this scope is showing as x254 so I can see why the 4mm would be of no use. Maybe a 6.3mm would be a better option...or a 32mm for deep space but this will be later on.

So how would the x2 barlow being given for free give any benefit to the existing 10mm and 25mm?

Even the barlow will be of limited use initially. You can use it with the 25mm to give 123x, which is a good magnification to use.

I would aim for something around the 8-9mm mark or 170-200x. That will give a useful magnification for most nights.

Even the barlow will be of limited use initially. You can use it with the 25mm to give 123x, which is a good magnification to use.

I would aim for something around the 8-9mm mark or 170-200x. That will give a useful magnification for most nights.

Thanks for the info russ. I'll get the basic package ordered from FLO then and build on the EP and barlow as needed. (ie with more experience) :)

Still debating on whether to get it with the EQ3-2 mount so I can buy other scopes later or just to stick with the Goto and get a Dob later on.

Plan B sounds better. Get the AZ and a dob later. The 127 and AZ are a nice grab'n'go size with minimal setup. The EQ3 and 127 is more of a flaff. But on the otherhand the EQ3 would be more stable and could take a 6" newt if you wanted.

I have to say, if I were starting again, I'd go dob straight off. More aperture for the money, easier setup and assuming you have a reasonable sky, it's easy to star hop. I have to say I found goto (I started with a Nexstar 6SE) to be more trouble than it was worth and I'd spend half of my observing time slewing to something that was hidden behind a house, fence panel, tree etc...

I'd go dob+telrad finder+star chart and start there. It really isn't too difficult - provided you can see a reasonable number of stars to start with....

I'd love to go for a Dob straight off but only reason i'm thinking of the MAK first is due to portability.

Cool... seems like I've made up my mind now. I'll go for the 127 Goto from FLO and progress from there.

russ, arad85 many thanks for your advice and guidance

appreciate it.

Archived