another eyepiece or filters?

Hello all, I'm new here and new to astronomy. Decided after years of thinking about it to jump in and get on with it! I researched which scope to buy and really wanted one in time for Mars at opposition. I'm a little worried i rushed in time for this, so here goes.

I bought a skywatcher 150p (150mm aperture, 750mm focal length, f5) on an eq3-2 mount, non driven.

supplied EPs: 2x deluxe barlow, 25mm long eye relief, 10mm.

I bought an additional 3.6mm which takes me to about 208x magnification.

I understand that Mars is a challenge for beginners and that at 208x it isn't going to be that large but should I consider trying to push the scope to it's potential 300x to get a little more? If so, what's the best approach, a 2.5mm or a 5mm with the barlow?

Also, should I invest in a wider angle lens, or some filters at this point? both? or something else to improve my setup?

And I guess what I (don't) want to know.. Am i expecting too much to get good planetary views at this level of equipment?

having said all of this I was out for three nights straight over the weekend and had the best time!

thanks in advance

steve.

And I guess what I (don't) want to know.. Am i expecting too much to get good planetary views at this level of equipment?
You're not expecting too much from the kit. The 150P is fine scope, real performer. It will show you some excellent views of all targets.
I bought an additional 3.6mm which takes me to about 208x magnification.
That's about right for the scope. Just been having a look at Mars using 200x and there was plenty of detail at that power. Nice sharp disk. 208x is spot on for Mars and should prove great for Jupiter later in the year, not too mention Saturn over the coming months. There will be nights where 208x will prove to be too much and you may need to pull back the magnifaction for a sharp view. Perhaps look for a 5mm to give a lower power that can be used on all nights of the year. Or better still, replace the standard 10mm with a good quality eyepiece at the same focal length. And then barlow that.
Also, should I invest in a wider angle lens, or some filters at this point? both? or something else to improve my setup?
The 25mm is reasonable performer and should already give good low power views. I think you could get by with that eyepiece for now and look out for a low power bargain eyepiece to replace it later. A 32mm Plossl would give a great field of view with your scope and a secondhand Meade 4000 or Celestron Ultima needn't cost that much.

Looking at your setup you are almost set already. Replace the 10mm and enjoy the scope!

steve, the 150 comes in a 750 and a 1200mm focal length and the 1200 is better for planets because you get a higher magnification for any given e/p. In my other post where I commented on what I had seen of mars in a 6" newt, I was referring to one with the longer focal length. In reality, I would think about 200-240x is the practical max mag for your scope most of the time. problem is, that very short focal length eyepieces tend to be quite tricky to use as they have minimal eye relief unless you start spending more cash. Your scope will be great for dso's and whilst, with patience, you should get decent views of mars, your scope isn't ideal for it.

.... with patience, you should get decent views of mars.....

It takes patience to get decent views of Mars with ANY scope :)

As the others have said 200x or so is fine for viewing Mars and the other planets. You can get 2.5mm eyepieces but you would not use them much so the money could probably be better spent.

As Russ says, a 32mm eyepiece plus a replacement for the 10mm that came with the scope would be good investments.

Welcome to SGL by the way ;)

The scope + 3.6mm EP seam ideal.

Just remember the following:

1) Mars is small.

2) The seeing conditions will affect the view. If the stars are twinkling then it's not a great night.

3) "Learn to see" and be patient.

At around 200x Mars is about the size of a pea at 1 meter distance. To see detail in it you need to observe it for reasonable periods, 20min +. Let your eye adapt and switch between looking directly at it and slightly to the side (this is called averted vision, it uses eye cells that are concentrated off center and work better detecting contrast). During a long observation you get some instants where the image looks a bit sharper, usually referred to as "pockets of seeing".

thanks everyone for your answers, very much appreciated. I've got plenty to think about, you've all confirmed what I had been thinking concerning the eyepieces.

Pvaz, that is really interesting about using the periphery of your vision to improve matters, cheers.

So, can I take it that filters are really not that important? This weekend I felt that the moon's intensity was making matters harder than they might otherwise have been..

thanks again, so there's more to think about. the 2" focuser. does using that as opposed to the 1.25" make all the difference then? for all types of viewing?

If your scope is fitted with a focusser that will take 2" eyepieces then it's worth consideriing getting a 2" low power eyepiece because they give wider fields of view. It's not a quality issue - 1.25" eyepieces are usually used for medium and high power views. If your scope can only take 1.25" eyepieces then no problem - you just won't be able to get quite as wide fields of view at low power with 1.25" eyepieces.

Using a 68deg, 35mm 2" eyepiece as an example...

mag = 750/35 = 21.4x

tfv = 68/21.4 = 3.17 degree field!

Mate a UHC filter with it... and you'll pick up the entire expanse of the Veil! (I've done the same with my 120mm f/5 and the 31T5)

Those short focal length 150mm reflectors are wonderful for sweeping the Milky Way... M-42/43 region, Pleiades, Beehive, etc... fantastic!

Hi Teethgrinder,

As a newbie cant comment on the eyepiece issue, I'm in pretty much the same situation as you, want to improve the views but not sure wether to go for a high mag EP or a low mag WA EP.

From my limited experience I could suggest a moon filter, I find even with a filter it is quite intense (I have a Baader ND 0.9), dont think I could view for long without one.

Off track slightly, but have you tried pointing your scope at the Orion Nebula? An easy target and with the eyepieces that came with the (same ones as yours) looks very impressive.

well then.. looks like it will certainly be worthwhile getting a low power 2" eyepiece, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a bargain. It looks like some well chosen filters will help too.

I can only assume i'm much like many others who start this game and are hungry to see it all as soon as possible. I think I might have to exercise some patience.. :)

Flinthead, I'm so new to the game I've only been out three times and spent the whole time concentrating on the moon and mars.. I will definitely point at the Orion Nebula next time i'm out. As one might expect the weather is awful for the rest of the week here, snow expected again ;(

thanks to all for your advice! I'm going to like it here, there aren't many forums like it in my experience.

Archived