Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SupaTrak mount not autotracking

flight69er

I've recently bought a Skywatcher Explorer 130P SupaTrak. Does the mount actually autotrack celestial objects because when I press both track buttons the scope remains stationary no matter which speed I select after? Any help would be greatly appreciated.:)

Are you powering the scope via AA batteries, or did you buy the optional Mains PS Unit?.

Has the drive been used successfully before, or is this the first time?

I would investigate the power to the mount first. Time and again it is the culprit.

Very cold conditions can play havoc with battery cells.

Ron.

I am not familiar with the Autotrak mount, but I would expect there to be select buttons for Lunar, sidereal, and Solar speeds.

Also on off, or maybe the same button start and stops the motion.

Perhaps too, there are slew select speeds, but I'm not at all sure.

Someone who has one of these models will join in and put you in the picture. A new scope can take a little understanding initially, but you will soon get the hang of it.

Did you purchase it in the UK. Perhaps even from First Light Optics, link at top of page.

Steve, who is the owner of FLO, will be happy to help you, he's a good man.

Ron.

post-18543-133877424115_thumb.jpg

Quote from instructions "To activate the TRACKING FUNCTION, you must first find the astronomical object you are seeking. The preferred method of finding objects is called "star-hopping" and there is much written on this method. Remember, you must used the Hand Control unit to move the telescope as you cannot move it manually. When you are ready to track (when the object is in the center of the field of view), press the "Guide" and "Slow" buttons in combination and tracking will be activated (Fig.l). When you want to cancel "tracking" and slew in higher speed, press the same button combination. Note that when tracking is activated, one of the "Guide", "Slow" or "Fast" buttons will flash."

Link to Autotracking Manual http://www.skywatchertelescope.net/swtsupport/Instruction_Manuals/Auto-tracking.pdf

I bought the scope from Astronomia in Dorking.

I've tested the mount again, realigned latitude and north and hey presto the autotracking is working (must be operator finger trouble :)). Next test on celestial object. Thanks for all your help and sorry to waste your time.

• 1 year later...
I've tested the mount again, realigned latitude and north and hey presto the autotracking is working (must be operator finger trouble :)). Next test on celestial object. Thanks for all your help and sorry to waste your time.

My first light on sat night and I experienced the same problem as flight69er.

I was in Orion with *60 mag and it was not autotracking properly Although the guide speed seemed to be working at the sidereal rate.

I will try again.

This setting up the home position (N and 0deg Alt) and breaking the power connection for it to remember may be my problem. I guess unless it knows North (and your Lat) its going to make a poor job of tracking.

Archived