Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon imaged on a tripod

MickyWay

29th January 2010 @ 22:46:25

Taken with Canon 1000D, Super-Takumar 55mm f1.8 lens,

wide open. Exposure, 1/1250th second, ISO100.

Seeing very unstable.

Image is heavily cropped and squeezed for available data in CS4.

post-16403-133877423532_thumb.jpg

29th January 2010 @ 22:46:25

Taken with Canon 1000D, Super-Takumar 55mm f1.8 lens,

wide open. Exposure, 1/1250th second, ISO100.

Seeing very unstable.

Image is heavily cropped and squeezed for available data in CS4.

Appologies to everyone, what a wally. image was so small etc. etc...... obviously the Moon.

You had me worried for a minute there - lol - I was thinking "how on Earth etc" - Glad to see you've got the Canon 1000D - I'm absolutely delighted with mine

You probably know already, but Tamron do a 70 - 300mm lense with the Canon fitting which is going for about £100 at the moment (I think Jessops had it on offer). You may find it a very useful addition to the camera. (No I don't work for Tamron or Jessops - I bought this very same lense off Currys last year and it's proving its worth).

You had me worried for a minute there - lol - I was thinking "how on Earth etc" - Glad to see you've got the Canon 1000D - I'm absolutely delighted with mine

You probably know already, but Tamron do a 70 - 300mm lense with the Canon fitting which is going for about £100 at the moment (I think Jessops had it on offer). You may find it a very useful addition to the camera. (No I don't work for Tamron or Jessops - I bought this very same lense off Currys last year and it's proving its worth).

Hi Sparrow,

Thanks for your kind comments, I felt such a plonker for making such an obvious mistake. What made it worse was my wife spotted it before me! She and I had a good laugh afterwards, but I won't it it put me off.

Back to the equipment, I have a Canon EF 75-300mm zoom lens which I really like. I have had various cameras and lenses over the years, but this Canon is the best yet. I have recently bought a Kood M42 to EOS adapter, which enables me to use some of the Pentax lenses I have. This was the setup used last night (with disastrous

consequenses!), but it gives me the oppertunity to try out these old, but very good lenses, some dating back to the 70's and 80's! These can be had at very competitive prices.

Regards,

Nice little image mate.

Hope you don't mind me hijacking the thread a little here, but i was wondering about the adaptors for other lenses. What is the adaptor fitting type for the 1000d? and where best to source them?

Reason being as i have a few mates who have some nice old prime lenses and i was wondering on the possibilities of mounting them to the 1000d as i noticed some were advertised on ebay, sigma for example, which said not suitable for dslr because of it having no chip?

Hi Room16,

You can source adapters, like the Kood EOS to M42 Pentax, on Ebay, but with this particular adapter you lose the 'auto' features of the lens. The Canon will enable you to take auto shutter speed images (Tv mode) and you still have complete control over ISO settings, and the manual aperture setting of the lens is still functional.

There are adapters available that incoporate a readout chip, but I have no experience in their use.

I would highly recommend Michael A Covington's book 'Digital SLR Photography' which has a chapter covering adapters for DSLRs, amongst a lot of other, very useful information.

I would be careful in purchasing very cheap adapters. Some tend to be poorly made and can get stuck on the camera mount.

Hope this helps.......

Regards

Archived