Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First views of Mars and Saturn - want more!!

JimBobs63

I had read on the forum that Mars was going to be a good sight tonight so I've just been out taking a first look through my SW 150P.

Could see darkish patches of detail near the lower centre, and lighter caps but could ha ve done with a bit more mag (was using a 15mm SW 66deg UWA eyepeice with 2x barlow = 100x mag which was good, but getting the 9mm and 6mm soon so should be able to get more detail) ;)

Then turned to look at Saturn for the first time - Oh my God does that planet have the X-Factor....!!! Absolutely fantastic even at at 100x.

Was it that cold tonight...? I hardly noticed!! :)

Jim

Hey Jim,

Sounds like you had a good night! I too was out last night about 2am having a look at Mars thru the scope. Couldn't see much detail so had a look at Stellarium to see what else was around and noticed Saturn was making an appearance! Never veiwed Saturn thru my scope before so it was a bit of a moment seeing it for the first time! A few expletives were said.(in a good way!).

Cheers

Steve

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean about the addictive nature of this hobby! (Hobby? more like an obsession!!)

BTW, meant to say in my previous post that Mars was a bit too bright at 100x with the 15mm and 2x barlow. Didn't have any planetary filters to bring out contrast/colours, but did find that the neutral density (moon) filter actually made the image better to see.

OK, further observing update from tonight to my first looks at Mars and Saturn last night:

Took another look at Mars first. Looking good, and a bit more detail seen now I have the extra mag from my newly purchased 6mm and 9mm SW UWA 66 deg LER eyepieces (from Astronomia in Dorking). Then I turned my attention to Saturn.....

WOW!! with the 2x delux barlow (giving 250x mag with the 6mm) it looked pretty great - even if that's pushing the capabilties of my scope towards the limit.

I could see Titan (currently 8.85 magnitude according to Stellarium), but couldn't see any of the other moons at 10mag+. I guess that in light-polluted skies in SW London, even if seeing seems pretty good tonight, I might be pushing my luck hoping to see more....!!

Still, another good night observing! :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip about the moon filter. I will definitely try that. I wasn't really able to see any detail on Mars as it was too bright - didn't think of the moon filter. Haven't seen Saturn through this scope yet. Haven't seen it in 15 years so really cannot wait for the next clear night. You rate those SW UWA EPs then?

Archived