Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Motorised EQ Stupid Questions

But i've got a really good excuse, I'm new lol. Anyway, here it is.

The stars are stationary, we're moving, so, motorised mount tracks at earth speed hence keeping you on target. I understand all that part, but...

Does it work for the moon and for planets, since the moon is moving and planets are moving, so you have to calculate that in with 'us' moving... don't you?

Just bought a motorised kit for my EQ5 so am just wondering.

not selectable rates as such, it does tracking speed, and there is a selector for x2, x4 and x8 and then left & right buttons, so you cant actually change the tracking speed, you can however give it little nudges if need be using the above.

Ok I have my EQ5 motorised (dual axis kit) it only tracks automatically on the RA axis at the one speed and is factory set, if you use the buttons you track manually at x2 x4 or x8 the set speed.

After getting Mars in the FOV of my EP I was able to track it for over an hour without having to adjust anything. It's also been the same for DSO's as long as I have polar aligned with the EQ's polar scope properly.

I had also read that the planets moved at a different rate but I can only go with my own experience and say I've not had a problem. I've only had them fitted for a few sessions over the last few months so I'm not an expert. All I can say is they were a great buy I can just switch the motor on and look at the object for as long as I want.

Cheers

That's exactly what i have, just got it today and fitted them, did you by any chance also have a short fixing bolt? Had to go out and get a bolt 5mm longer than the one that was in the box for the dec motor, I also would like to have seen the section of PCB reinforced where the dec motor connector is, (where the lead plugs into the motor) I have visions of that snapping off. A nice touch would have been to enclose that dec motor in a matching plastic enclosure, fixing the connector to it making it look nicer and reinforcing it a little. I also find the connector on the RA motor doesn't exactly line up with the hole in the plastic moulding from the mount that encloses it. Did you find any of this? Are you happy with it in use?

Think it might be a good thing to shrink tube those two wires together (motor leads) to tidy things up a little.

No it was all ok straight out of the box, although I did have to wait about a week for the clouds to clear!! :)

Hopefully you have better luck. ;)

EDIT -

I also find the connector on the RA motor doesn't exactly line up with the hole in the plastic moulding from the mount that encloses it.

Yes I did notice that as well I tend to just leave it connected other wise I'd have to take the cover off to release it.

Also I stuck a bit of velcro to the back of the control box and a bit on one of the tripod legs so the box can be stuck there out the way when your not manually adjusting.

Archived