Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SkyScout Scope 90 with Nikon D40- Is There Any Hope or Do I Just Not Bother??

toilandtrouble123

Hi There,

I was given a SkyScout Scope 90 for Christmas (not quite the NexStar 127SLT that I hoped for). :)

When I mentioned this to my friend, who's a photography student, we came up with the idea of trying our hand at afocal astrophotography using her Nikon D40. What results should we expect using my SSS 90 and her Nikon D40? Would we get any decent planetary images?

Many Thanks

TT123

I think you'll struggle to get planetary images, the large sensor size of the camera and the short (ish) focal length of the scope means that getting image scale is going to be really hard. However, you could get some good moon shots with it. If you have a tracking mount and a suitable webcam, then that can be pressed into service as a planetary camera.

Skyscout 90 and D40 would make a good combo for imaging star clusters and galaxies but no good for the planets, as John explained. But you would need an Equatorial mount with a drive to start the imaging.

Lol- didn't expect it to, was waiting for seven years for my first proper scope1 Still, horses cost more, and at least telescopes won't send you to hospital with broken bits and pieces! astro-imaging never came into my mind til my photography friend made a passing comment during a chat about what everyone got for xmas. just as long as I can get some good views through my scope to sketch without my mount letting me down, I'll be happy, being able to take some shots thorugh it was just gonna be an unexpected bonus.

Thanks again guys!

TT123 XX

Don't worry, the scope will give you some awesome views and when hooked up to the AZ4, will be rock steady. If you really wanted to dabble with the imaging, you could switch your choice of mount to something like the EQ5 with dual drives. But the new price would be well beyond what the AZ4 costs. But a secondhand EQ5 with drives would cost the same as the AZ4.

Your friend would need to invest in a remote control and T-adapter for the D40. And that's it. Both of those can be had on Ebay for a few quid.

Russ

well just got back from town checking out my healthy bank balance- a very nice surprise from my work- and have just ordered my Skywatcher AZ4 Stainless Steel Tripod from Harrison, now jus gotta wait for it to arrive next week. Natalie is one happy bunny today!!! Fingers cross for some decent viewing tonight- even with my current crappy sagging mount!

Thanks again Russ, for sorting out one idiotic noob's problem out!! hppy viewing tonight.

Ciao xx

Archived