Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

plossl EPs

Televue plossl, whats your veiw on these ??

The Meade series 5000 "super plossls" have a wider field, sharper to the edge, and lack the "coffee stain" colouring which the Televue Plossls are renowned for.

For planetary work, the Baader Genuine Orthos are superior ... the only downside is the lack of eyepieces in this set longer than 18mm and the unfashionably small apparent field of view (though still wide, by old standards, at around 45 degrees).

so these plossl`s are tinted?

That's the way I see them - they're quite different from most other eyepieces, though Naglers also have a tendency towards "coffee staining". Some people like the effect. Others don't notice.

I'm one of the ones who has not noticed the effect that Brian mentions in the Tele Vue eyepieces that I've tried over the years which include their other eyepiece types including the plossls (but not, so far, the Radians alas). I've also owned and compared them to other good eyepieces (non Tele Vue) and the conclusion I have come to is that the TV plossls are amongst the best of that design, to my eyes at least.

Where I do agree with Brian is that the Meade 5000's and the Baader Genuine Ortho's are very good as well and well worth considering.

There are actually quite a few good eyepieces in this price bracket so it would be worth waiting see what other views come forward.

impartial advice as always John, thanks kindly.

think you may have noticed by now i am a stickler for product continuity and the Radians have tickled my fancy for a while now i just need something over 18mm in a 1.25" to fill that low power gap

well, TAL and Televue, lets see if they are a match made in heaven shall we :)

I have a few TV Plossls which I purchased in the 1980's. They are as good today as they were back then.

Good eyepieces will last you a lifetime. Over the same period I've used them in various telescopes; 13", 18", 29" f4.5 reflectors, Genesis 4" f5, ED80 refractors and 8", 10" and 12" Lx200... never had cause to replace them.

is it due to the composition of the glass that Televue use?

Coatings I think. I did look through an Ethos, that seemed to be cleaner than I'm used to with Nags or TV Plossls. Panavues are definitely less coloured though still with a distinct tinge compared with Pentax XW / BGO / Meade series 5000. I know some people really rate Radians, I don't get on with them finding the eye placement a bit of an issue (they have "too much" eye relief).

I do know that few people who buy TV Plossls are willing to part with them, I'm just suggesting that they're not to everyone's taste. At about the same price, with the Meade series 5000 5 element "super plossl" you get a whiter image and a significantly wider field; with the BGO you get clarity & contrast which is unsurpassed now that Zeiss Monocentrics are no longer available (and the BGO has about twice the apparent field of view of a monocentric as well!)

GSO Plossl. I use a couple, and cannot see see any difference in the view produced when side by side with the Tele-vue.

I even prefer then over my Baader orthoscopic eyepieces. The Baader are very good, but for me the view produced are not

worth the extra £50 when compared against the £25 -£30 GSO.

I have one teleview plossl and did have a TV barlow.

I did notice the coffee stain thing in the barlow but it was very slight.

There is no such thing visible in my 10.5mm TV plossl.

I still have 3 other eyepieces in the 10/11mm length (I've just sold one but not posted it off yet and one is 'technically' my daughters) so I have compared them all and to be honest the Teleview has the cleanest colour rendition and has noticeably better contrast than the others.

Hope this helps a bit.

Archived