Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ring Nebula Problems

G-James

Before Christmas, I attempted to see the ring Nebula, in Lyra, before it went and disappeared below some trees.

However when I looked around where it is supposed to be, I couldn't see it. I looked all over the place at low power but I still couldn't see it. I was using my 4.5 inch Skywatcher, is this to small?

It can be tricky - especially at this time of year when it is so low. I saw it last summer from a dark site in Cornwall with my 4" refractor (much higher in the sky then). How are you locating it? I find with faint objects that sweeping around is not usually very successful. Much better to KNOW you are looking in the right place ( from the surrounding starfield), then use averted vision to locate your target.

absolutely not. It is visible in 5cm. However it will be realtively small so you may have to bump up the power and if you are observing from a light polluted environment and it was low then that could be an issue. If you have a UHC filter try that or using a higher power.

You can use the brightest triangle of stars in Lyra (which includes Vega) as a pointer to the approximate area nearby. It's located in a thin triangle of stars about a third of the way along one side. You should be able to see it relatively easily as it is quite bright but small. It will look like a bloated star at low magification and like a smoke ring at higher mag.

Regards

Kevin

Saw it for the first time recently [using the GOTO]

75x mag

Clear as day with my LPR filter, but could only just make it out without one because I knew where it was as I had just been looking at it. If I had gone straight to it without the filter I know I would not have recognised i for what it is.

Before Christmas, I attempted to see the ring Nebula, in Lyra, before it went and disappeared below some trees.

However when I looked around where it is supposed to be, I couldn't see it. I looked all over the place at low power but I still couldn't see it. I was using my 4.5 inch Skywatcher, is this to small?

May be you saw it but identified it as a star. You need some power to see the ring. I think youre power was too low.

Also this time of year is not favourable for that particular object

May be you saw it but identified it as a star. You need some power to see the ring. I think youre power was too low.

Also this time of year is not favourable for that particular object

I have observed the nebula clearly visible as a small ring in my Tal 100RS with only a 25mm Plossl (x40). However, now it is too low down, I doubt I would currently observe it as such.

• 2 weeks later...

I can detect it at 37x, but 75x to 120x give the better views as it's hard to see it as a ring at low power.

I find the moonlight and low altitude make it a challenge sometimes so that may be the problem.

Talitha, your sketches are superb once again!

Archived