Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

filters for the Sun

Baader filter would be fine, probably off axis on a 200mm aperture, but people like David Hinds sell these for a range of scopes

That is for white light only, other options not really suitable for your scope (H-A/CaK etc)

Beware the solar filters available show different things. I believe the white light ones only allow you to see sun spots and the sun will show in a white to blue coulor. Someone correct me if I wrong.

For flares and prominences you need different types of filters that I believe are not available for your scope.

The Baader Solar film is the cheapest way of viewing the sun. As Nick says, use the aperture stop that's built into the dustcap on the 200P. Just ensure what ever filter you use on the front is held firmly in place with absolutely no chance of it falling off or being removed easily.

Apart from the Solar Film there is also a number of full aperture glass filters available from Thousand Oaks and Orion USA. You'll be amazed how the view can change between these 'white light' filters. Some give a really clinical white disk of the sun, while others show a 'yellow' disk. But they all show the sunspots in some amazing detail. I love white light solar viewing. Instead of using my 200P i bought a cheap 70mm f10 refractor. For one, you don't need large aperture for viewing the sun and secondly the smaller scope dedicated filters are a lot cheaper.

Russ

hacksaw and 10 minutes of your time..just the back focus adjustment. I know people using the 909 precursor to the Evostar and getting superb results.

You'd need the PST etalon.. and ideally a BF10 blocking filter (US sourced I think would be cost effective), plus a 90mm ERF (£200 ish from Baader)...that's about it really..

Archived