Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Scope choice again!

I have three EQ mounts down here racking up as much as 60 hours a week of imaging and observation time between them so I do have a vague idea of their appearance and performance!

You are quite right that they pack down small but when I was observing from a motorhome in the UK I perferred the speed of setup that came with an altaz refractor or Dob, both of which I tried as well as EQs. Surethe knock down with an EQ is no big deal but I found them a faff compared with alt az systems on those painful UK in-out, in-out nights. For a given volume a Dob has more optics and less mount, that's all. But the EQ will do the job as well.

Olly

Altaz Refractor has to be the best holiday option. The only one i could successfully hide until we reached the destination. Plus it won't need collimating when you arrive.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Methinks a covert operation is the order of the day.

A 150 dob suitably cushioned would stand in the caravan shower cubicle both in transit and on arrival.

I'm a nuts & bolts sort of chap so I'd make a setting circle ala mike-h http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/80995-diy-dob-setting-circles.html#post1229286

I recently got my old laptop running with some driver updates, it won't run Stellarium for some reason but it runs Astro work bench fine.

The addition of a Wixey or similar should complete a quick setup outfit.

At least I would have scope :) for a mount upgrade in the future.

Stellarium requires an OpenGL capable graphics card, depending on the age of the laptop, that could be the problem.

Good plan with the dob :) Just as long no one dumps some dirty wet towels in it thinking it was the dirty washing basket.

Yee-hah, old silver tongue me!

Pursuaded SWMBO that an Explorer 150 will hardly take any room up in the caravan at all.

And a shiny new 150p is winging its way to me courtesy of FLO even as I type

I'm not saying I'm excited but the sound of girlish laughter and hopping about as if one is about to wee ones-self is really unbecoming in a man of my advancing years :)

Archived