Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Are all 6" reflectors equal?

Just a quicky really.

I currently own an old no name (that I can find anyway) 6" relfector it has a parabolic mirror and is an f5 scope.

Anyways, apart from looks and a crayford is there any point say getting the new skywatcher 150 as I can get an ota for about £100.

Will there be an amazing contrast in image quality? That is cheaper reflectors versus the skywatcher ilk?

Or would I be better spending the cash on quality eyepieces?

Cheers all.

Are you happy with the views through your current scope ? - if you are then I can't see the point of buying a scope of the same aperture. If it has a decent set of mirrors and shows nice views then stick with it.

Expensive eyepieces don't really enable you to see more - you just get slightly nicer views of what you already see !.

Don't know if I'm happy because I ahvent looked through any other 6" reflectors :)

And here in lies the problem!

But then again as with all my hobbies I think I'm more attracted in collecting the nick nacks and extras then I am with actually carrying out the actual stargazing (All the gear no idea as it where :eek: )

I have a nice eq5 with RA and Dec motors and various lenses, the focuser on my current telescope is rubbish (|rack and pinion and the focuser tube wobbles a bit)as is the finder scope mounting bracket (cheap plastic thing that comes out of alignment if a sparrow farts near it withing 50 yards) though I do I have a rigel quick finder.

So with calculating the cost of new bits and just biting the bullet and buying a new ota and then selling off the old telescope and mount (the original eq2/3) I was trying to guage which was best...mmmmm....

It might be worth getting in contact with a local Astronomical Society in your area, and going out with your scope to one of their observing evenings (if they have them) so that you can compare your scope to others side by side. You may also get some advice on getting the best out of your scope/eyepieces as well.

Best Wishes,

Jim

I too was going to suggest you go to an astronomicl society to look through other scopes.

However, there are 2 other things to do. You need to collimate your scope to get the best out of it. You will need a gadget called a Cheshire Eyepiece for this (good news - more gadgets!!) What you are trying to do is get the two mirrors pointing in the right direction.

The quick test is this; point at a bright star close to the zenith (straight up) and rack the star a little out of focus. If all is as it should be you will see a series of concentric dark and bright rings. If adjustment is needed the de-focussed star will have oval bright/dark rings or even (oh no!) no rings at all but a load of spikes pointing off to one side.

Olly

Cannot see another 6" reflector being greatly better then the one you have.

Image quality will depend on the mirror and yours is a parabolic so assuming it is accurate you won't greatly improve on that.

Presume that the reflection surface is good so yours will be reflecting much the same quantity of incident light.

Small bits may come into it, an f/7 may be a little sharper, simply as the amount ground away is less so you may get better accuracy so marginally improved sharpness. I suppose that a modern mirror may be better for accuracy, just not convinced that it will be enough to be noticable.

Best seems to be to make sure it is clean and set up accurately, after that a 10 or 12 inch scope. And if you get one bigger then I bet you will still use the 6" a lot.:):evil6::eek::evil6:

Wouldn't say that there is enough improvment that getting another is worth it.

Thanks all........I think going for the 8" may be a better idea! Was just thinking maybe some scopes are llightyears apart in the reflector department seeing as prices can differ alarmingly depending on who you buy from!

Also I had the scope collimated a few weeks ago by PheonixRising (Fellow SGL'er whome I purchased the lovely EQ5 off....truth be known I wouldnt like to be left in a house alone with him.... :) ) And I have also purchased a orion optice chesire eyepiece that should be landing soon (seen the laser ones so wanted something a bit different that didnt rely on batteries).

So I'm probably as good as I'm going to get with this scope....So it's time to strip the focuser and sort out the wobble....or.....hole saw and a crayford......decisions decisions

Archived