Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Advice on making dew shield for 130p

acharris77

Hi all, I wonder if any can give me some advice on size to a camping mat for a 5" Newt. I bought a camping mat from Lidl, as since this weather, I had dew on the secondary mirror, and I had no hair dryer available.

I was wondering what would be a ideal size to cut to, as I was looking and it looks like I would have to cut out for the finder scope and the focuser. Would 2x the size be ideal for this size scope or a bit more.

Any help for a diy newbie would be appreciated. Thanks.

I think the generally accepted size is to make the shield stick out about 1.5 times the diameter of the scope tube - so cut to two times will give you enough to "push on" to the tube to hold it in place. You may have to cut a bit out to get the thing to slip far enough over the tube. To hold the mat in shape use either tape or (if you are posh!!) velcro.

Thats useful and timely advice - I need to make one for my newtonian and now I know the dimensions :). Another advantage of this will be to keep stray light out of the top of the scope - I've got a number of light sources around where I observe and I've noticed when unwanted light is falling onto the diagonal or inside tube wall the contrast that the scope delivers is much reduced.

Hey, made my dew shield tonight. Below are links to the pics of the dew shield, I know it not pretty looking, but I am quite pleased and plus it feels like achievement and will help with stray light from street lights:

http://stargazerslounge.com/members/acharris77-albums-my-pictures-picture3712-dew-shield-2.jpg

http://stargazerslounge.com/members/acharris77-albums-my-pictures-picture3713-dew-shield-3.jpg

Archived