NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Max weight for my Modded EQ3

Rob

With the Mak the torque is smaller. With a decent tripod you should be OK with either scope as long as you don't want to hang too many accessories off them.

Have you checked up on the Bosmas Rob? I've heard they are a mixed bunch, it might be worth asking around?

With the Mak the torque is smaller. With a decent tripod you should be OK with either scope as long as you don't want to hang too many accessories off them.

Have you checked up on the Bosmas Rob? I've heard they are a mixed bunch, it might be worth asking around?

Thanks Gaz.. will do. I have not bid as yet (German Ebay) but its currently going for £110! :shock: 1 day to go. And I've asked lots of questions from the guy tonight. The 8" GSO would be new from TS @ £270. Just missed out on a deal for Celestron C8 OTA with rings for £190 tonight new from TS :shock:

6kg and remain stable. You can add a little for your upgraded tripod but the mount head is rated at 6kg

I would say that 20lb's (9kg) is a little high given the vixen GP is rated at 7kg and the CG5 is rated at 10kg. I dont believe the eq3-2 is as stable as a GP or SP for that matter. Still, it's a great lightweight mount.

Also now have an offer of a OMC140 with hard dewshield for £300 del!! :shock:

I don't know whats happend all of a sudden I can't move for scope deals?.

Rob

Ok, to sum up then.

The offers are:

200/1000 Celestron newt OTA & rings (worried about the weight!) £190

150/1900 Bosma Mak currently £160

OMC 140 with screw on dewshield & throw in Ali tripod for my SLT £320 del

Humm...

6kg and remain stable. You can add a little for your upgraded tripod but the mount head is rated at 6kg

I would say that 20lb's (9kg) is a little high given the vixen GP is rated at 7kg and the CG5 is rated at 10kg. I dont believe the eq3-2 is as stable as a GP or SP for that matter. Still, it's a great lightweight mount.

Yeah. I wouldn't go the max with a mount, except in an emergency/short-time situation.

I agree , 6 kg is about the max i suppose.

i use it with a 4 kg OTA and focussing is allready a bit shaky, but overal it's indeed a great mount...

OK, I did a little actual research, and found there isn't any specification available from Skywatcher on how much you can put on their mounts. However, my friend Joe O'Neill in London, Ont. put out a page with his personal estimates of the weights that certain mounts can carry. His estimate for the EQ3 was 9lbs., and for the EQ4, 14lbs. The EQ3-2 seems to be the replacement for the EQ4, which appears to be no longer manufactured, nor the EQ3.

Joe's estimates are probably actual weights that the mount can hold, not the maxima that the manufacturers would give you. It's at http://www.oneilphoto.on.ca/oneil.htm near the bottom. Appears to be an older page.

My mount appears to be an EQ3-2, not a 3, and my OTA weighs about 11lbs., and is rock-steady on the mount. I also have wooden legs (on the tripod, stupid! Why do you ask!) and that probably makes it solider.

Archived