Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Mars of 2010

brianb

Bright full moon but the air was reasonably steady for a change! Also first light with the IS DMK21 camera I bought myself as a late Xmas present.

Mars-100101-0107-LRGBX4.jpg

2010 Jan 01, 0107 UT. Celestron CPC1100, x4 Imagemate, Astronomik type 2c colour seperation filters, Astronomik Planet Pro 742 IR pass filter used for luminance image, Imaging Source DMK21 camera.

Transparency good, seeing fair, light to moderate boiling with some reasonably steady instants.

Thanks guys, it's a quick & dirty process but I was in a hurry to see the result - know I can do better & will, one of these evenings when the cloud is thick, rain is pouring from it & a gale is blowing. (So not long to wait!)

Only the second time I've got benefit from using a 9mm eyepiece with my CPC1100 (since March). I tried a few colour filters as well & was undecided whether I could see more with a #21 (orange), #25A (light red) or no filter ... everything else was worse.

Unfortunately the seeing deteriorated later in the night & cloud became a nuisance too. Still, a reasonably satisfactory start to the New Year.

A great image!

As for filters, I saw more contrast through the eyepiece using a dark yellow filter.

I was out observing Mars on and off last night, but didn't have the chance to do any imaging despite the excellent skies (excellent seeing and transparency despite the full moon).

Hoping for the same conditions again tonight and I'll try and image the God of War with the Neximage and CPC 925 GPS.

Brinders

Archived