Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Heritage 130p x2 Barlow total newbie question

Apologies in advance for my utter ignorance

I have had my first clear evening since I took delivery of my 'scope this evening and have viewed the moon in both eye pieces I have, bar the barlow as I was unsure how it was supposed to be used.

My question is this - When you place the eyepiece into the holder minus the barlow moving it in and out before tightening the screws betters the focus; now with the barlow in place, do I need to adjust the barlow in the same way or the eyepiece that is in the barlow, or both?

:hello2:

I just had to have that as my username, didn't I?

Suits you to a tea mate :hello2:

Have you had a chance to try the 'scope at night yet?

I used mine properly for the first time over night, and I noticed a little of what you were describing, but I put it down to nothing more than being unable to fully relax my 'other' eye.

I found wearing a blindfold, (which I have for reasons I wont go into here), :) and obviously just covering up the one eye with it helped a lot as the muscles relax, and my vision was a lot, lot clearer.

Suits you to a tea mate :hello2:

Have you had a chance to try the 'scope at night yet?

I used mine properly for the first time over night, and I noticed a little of what you were describing, but I put it down to nothing more than being unable to fully relax my 'other' eye.

I found wearing a blindfold, (which I have for reasons I wont go into here), :) and obviously just covering up the one eye with it helped a lot as the muscles relax, and my vision was a lot, lot clearer.

No I have not used mine at night yet. I am going to get an erecting prism so I can see the corrected image of a television mast on top of the Wrekin about nine miles away, which I can then focus on properly.

One lesson learned - don't try to view the night sky with an unfocussed scope!

You want to change your username to: Cap'n Sparrow!:)

You want to change your username to: Cap'n Sparrow!:hello2:

:)

I found myself thanking god that astronomy is a night time pursuit on more than one occasion last night

I'm just waiting for someone to call the police and for them to tap me on the shoulder to say that they have had reports of a man sitting outside in the early hours wearing an eyepatch and they thought they have to check it out.

Absolutely AMAZING. Just for fun i setup the Heritage (yeah i know its kind of weird calling it setup). I then put in my 6mm EP and for the first time ever i was able to see something......anything through it. Then i added my 2x barlow to the equation to make my 6mm a 3mm EP. WOOHOO !!!, i could still see through it. There was no dimming of the "view". Everything was crystal clear and sharp.

I never had any luck with my other scope and the 2x barlow and/or my 6mm EP. Anything i tried to observe almost vanished due to dimming of the light. This scope can handle it no problems.

I have a good feeling that faint fuzzies wont be so faint anymore.

The more I see of this scope Paul, the more I like it.

When I was locating a target in daylight the other day, I could see the veins of a leaf on a silver birch a couple of miles away. You certainly get a very crisp image with this scope.

I am just waiting for a clear sky now in order to get my first real view of the moon at close quarters - can't wait.

Make sure to wear sunglasses. Although if you have never seen the moon through a scope before then you will more then likely not see it as being as bright as i do. Damn thing nearly laser corrected my eyeball the other night. Cant wait to see it properly myself using my moon filter/6mm EP+2x.

Are those footprints i see on the surface!!!

LOL.

Pouring rain here today but we are expecting "a significant snow event" over the next 2-3 days.

Make sure to wear sunglasses. Although if you have never seen the moon through a scope before then you will more then likely not see it as being as bright as i do. Damn thing nearly laser corrected my eyeball the other night. Cant wait to see it properly myself using my moon filter/6mm EP+2x.

LOL.

Pouring rain here today but we are expecting "a significant snow event" over the next 2-3 days.

The footprints were probably Jackson perfecting his moon walk!

LOL.

The moon is the only thing of real note that I have seen to date,(need to get to a dark site, I have the Gower on my doorstep so i'm looking forward to a few Summer nights there); I found it bright but not so bright that I couldn't look at it was quite an impressive sight even through my lowest power lens, I didn't use the barlow as I wasn't sure how to.

Archived