NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The ongoing SLT saga! (Warning photos)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would an extra block half way down add much to the stability Phil

It would help tweak out a bit of twist Gordon.

And this is a guy who quote "doesn't have any woodworking skills"

I'll get me order in for a chest of drawers and a dining table early before you get famous and want silly money :D

lol, that's not likely to happen. Do you know how i worked out the leg length? I cut the 2.4 meter lengths exactly in half and said "thats close enough". meant i only had to do 3 cuts for 6 legs :D The other piece out of the 4pack was cut into bits for the support blocks. With a jgsaw. Splinters all over the place hehe

I've just been told that the Meade ETX's use the same bolt as the SLT mounts meaning the ETX tripods will fit the SLT mount head..... They even have a wedgepod although it's £159.99. A bit more than my 3 bits of pine nailed together :D

It's a more permanant solution though.

Hi Gordon,

I'm in conversation with someone at the mo, and looking to buy there Ali Eq5 tripod for £30 del!. Is that going to fit ok do you think?. And when you say ETX tripods, do you mean the 'Field' one?.

Cheers

Rob

Thats a bargin Rob! You might have to change the central bolt to a 1/4"-20 but other than that it should fit. You might also have to use some pieces of cork or rubber to stop the mount from spinning around as there are 3 protrusions that usually interface with the SLT tripod head. Alternativly you could drill 3 holes for these protrusions to fit into. Let me know how you get on!

It was the field tripod i was looking at yes. It has a large flat plate with 2 1/4"-20 threads that can attach to the SLT mount base. Or you can drill the central plate and use your own bolt.

Oh! I see. I thought you were going to use the eq5 tripod head. If the legs have a 1.25" lug width then your made, otherwise you have some work ahead of you! The SLT tripod head is actually quite strong being cast aluminum. It's the plastic leg tops that are the let down. If you can get the eq5 legs to fit then you'll have the best of all worlds. Your only flexure then will be in the actual mount arm itself and theres not much you can do about that.

Let me know how you get on! I expect lots of picture :D

Might have to delay the purchase of the tripod now... I have something else on the back burner (its all go with me right now), that will zap the funds at the moment. I may be makking the legs like yourself!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived