NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC 2331 - Open Cluster in Gemini

DarkerSky

I was lucky enough to get a clear sky Tues 15th when the cloud pushed away to leave the dry cold air over us from the continent. Managed to get out for about 3 hours with temp down to -3c. Spent some time looking at NGC 2331 in Gemini and got a sketch. Might go back to it again and see if I can add a few more of the stars that were in my fov.

Some close doubles in the cluster that really draw the eye. Worth a look in if you're in that part of the sky.

15-12-09

16" Lightbridge x107

B Pencil

Seeing: 1-2

NGC2331-neg.jpg

NGC2331-a-1.png

That's a great rendition.

At times I find myself getting too hung up on getting all the stars in the FOV onto the page, but lately I'm thinking that as long as the cluster stars are there then it's okay to add just a few field stars, the brighter ones especially.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Paul

I know what you mean Paul. I generally stop drawing when I am happy that I have captured the cluster and a fair impression of the field stars. I don't think I have ever recorded all stars in a fov.

Recently I have got into the habit of revisiting objects I draw to add more detail - so build it up over 2 or more observing sessions. As mad as it sounds I mostly think I do this because I find it therapeutic...in pursuit of being happy with what I draw.

Blimey, i'm starting to sound unbalanced..!

It's just satisfying to go back and compare what is drawn to the eyepiece image again on another night :D

Very well done, thanks for sharing this with us. :) You're right about pairs of stars pulling our attention towards them. It's like seeing several pairs of Twins in a crowd... how can we not look? :D And i hope you get a chance to add more, it's always interesting to see how populated the starfield can get.

Archived