Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron CG5-GT power cables

The standard power cable is a car cigarette lighter style plug with the appropriate plug for the mount on the other end, sorry I cant remeber the size of the plug for the mount side off hand but if you need it I will measure mine.

You will need a minimum of 12V @ 1500mAH, supplied from a regulated power supply if pluggd into the mains or a suitable 12V battery pack. I bought a 1500mAH 12V regulated supply from Maplins which works very well when I am at home, IIRC it was about £15.00.

HTH,

Gary

That mount is indeed supplied with a power cable to connect to a cigarette lighter style socket.

If you buy a generic regulated power supply, say from Maplin, then it will probably come with a range of plugs for the end of the cable. It is up to you to select the right one and connect it to the power supply cable the right way round, CENTRE IS POSITIVE, or you will blow the mount.

The PSU's supplied by maplin do not come with the exact correct size plug, but it will do the job. You have to select the one that is very slightly too big and then in the mount socket very slightly spread the legs of the centre pin.

I hope that makes sense mate.

Gary

I already have two universal regulators so I am not going to get a new one if either works. On the two regulators there is a polarity switch and according to the instructions the positive setting (negative ground) is the most common requirement. Is this also the correct setting for the mount?

I would shy away for any 'universal' type power system. The dangers just aren't worth thinking about. Get that polarity wrong or the power wrong on the adapters selector and at best you'll suffer frustration - at worst you'll blow the mount up.

In the dark, under pressure its easy done and there are plenty of horror stories from people who have been there and done it. Its an expensive mistake to make.

Its just not worth saving yourself £30 and blowing up a £500 mount.

The mount most likley is centre pin positive (ie the middle of the plug should be live) and its usually marked. The plug end is most likley a standard 2.1mm DC plug.

No idea what a CG5 will demand in terms of amps - EQ5s are supposed to need about 1amp and the HEQ5 about 2 amps.

On the HEQ5 you also need a thicker cable as the standard ones are too thin. They will work fine in a warm room but act as a 'choke' on the power in a cold field and the mount will never work reliably as a result.

Archived