NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First and second night with my SW150

Leegsi

Just come in from my second 'proper' night with my SW150.

First session was on Thursday with HantsAstro at Intec for an observing session. I didnt really get a chance to have a proper play with the scope. Spent first part of the evening setting the finder up and getting used to where the controls were. Once that was done I had a good look at Jupiter (seeing 4 moons too) and just about seeing where 2 of the bands were. Then onto Orion and M42. This was so much better than with my SW130 but the stars were not as sharp as I thought they would be. Next was Mars as that had come up enough for me to see. Was great to see a red disc so I knew I was looking at he right thing lol.

So that was the first night...............Home with a laser collimator to find it was off so set it up ready for the next session.

On to tonight and WOW what a difference. Mars was sharper and could see that there was a red part and a white part to it. M42 was clear and I could see defined edges.

Spent about 3 hours out there tonight using the scope and just sitting on our swing watching the meteors. All in all a great night.

Sounds like a fun night. If you find everything less clear on your next outing, take into account that it may have been down to transparency as well as collimation. Lots of people reporting that transparency was amazingly good last night, which makes a big difference to the clarity when you are looking at planets in particular. All I saw last night was cloud :)

Nice one Lee. When Mars is bigger the polar caps can be really clear and you can make out some of the main surface details. Sounds like I hadn't collimated it after my return from Kielder. Still waiting for some clear nights up here!

Archived