Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Two Pegasus galaxies

mdstuart

Finally a clear slot so out with the scope.

I went back to recheck NGC 16. This is a fairly small faint galaxy just under the top left hand star of the square. It was not visible with my low power 30mm eyepeice but when I switched up to 12.5mm it was there, the tell tale fuzzy gray blob.:)

So up to 6mm Ortho and I just was messmarised (sorry about spelling) and kept tapping the dob to watch it glide buy a few times. It was best with averted vision so I kept looking above, below and side to side. It looked like a flat oval in shape.

It has a redshift of 0.010340 but I have no idea how far away that makes it.

So given how good the seeing was I tried NGC 23. This looked very similiar to me to NGC 16 despite it having a different size and magnitude in the tables..

It has a higher redshift of 0.015231 so I guess it is further away.

It did look odd to me in the 6mm sort of a doble blob. After coming inside I realised it has a 13.7 mag field star at one end. I will try a higher power on it next time I go out to see if I can pick out this better. It will be a test for when that next supernova shows up!

I did try a little later on after my Indian but the secondry was all misted up...:icon_eek:

Mark

Archived