Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Thinking of getting a camera so i dont use my DSLR

nurserob

I am pondering getting an actual astrophoto camera like the ones from meade or orion and was wondering what everyone thinks is a good one but doesnt cost a lot. I am thinking the weight of my DSLR plus the dim focuser will do more harm than good. What is everyones experience?

Which DSLR do you have? I have a Canon 1000D, and I wouldn't say it was heavy. Body only that is.

There are a number of Options for you. The Meade DSI II, Orion Starshoot. Depends what your AP ambitions are really.

The Canon EOS raange. 400, 450 1000D, when modified for DSO Imaging, produce splendid results. The Atik range of CCD cameras too are worth looking at.

Ron.:)

I have a T1i 15mp, I mean i can use it,i am wondering if i will be able to focus it easily.I tried last night with just some star shots out of my regular camera lens and cant focus worth a damn. I am going to get Celestron 6" SGT schmidt telescope w/equatorial drive.

Star shots with the camera lens needs to be set to Manual focus... a bit of practise and a remote release ( like the TC80n) makes it easier.

I'd use the camera body with a 1.25" nosepiece on the scope initially, get some practise under your belt and then spend the $$$$$$ (Big!) later when you understand what you want to achieve.

Ken

I have a T1i 15mp, I mean i can use it,i am wondering if i will be able to focus it easily.I tried last night with just some star shots out of my regular camera lens and cant focus worth a damn. I am going to get Celestron 6" SGT schmidt telescope w/equatorial drive.

You have Live View on that camera, so should help with focusing.

It can be accessed via a switch as I've read.

Once i get imaging with the telescope on nebulas for example. Do i need to modify the camera to get the pictures to look red? I am reading people tear out the IR filter but i use this for regular pictures as well so i dont want to destroy it.

Removal of the filter definately improves the cameras ability to record red light like Hydrogen Alpha, but many successful imagers still use the standard camera.

I wouldn't worry about it at the moment. Get some experience first.

Have to go along with Ken and Ron here. The tricky bit about astrophotography is not really having the greatest camera, it is getting all the little things right, tracking, focus, timing of the exposures, and then stacking multiple exposures together and learning how to work with the data you have to bring out the best result. Very very few of the nebula photos you see look how they did when they were taken, they have all been worked on in graphics programs.

If you were to go from DSLR to a DSI or Orion Starshoot, I would think you would be dissapointed. They are not easy cameras to image with compared to a dslr, and the results may not be pleasing.

Dont hold back from asking as many questions as you need to, we're here to help :)

TJ

Archived