Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron CPC Help Needed

Hi all,

Due to the weather I haven't really progressed and I'm still unsure if there is a problem with my CPC800 or if I'm just expecting too much, can you help please?

I managed to grab a hour tonight before the fog rolled in, once again Sky Align completed successfully and I chose Jupiter as a target.

Even with a 9 mm eye piece (the max. mag. I have) & the tightest focus I could achieve tonight all I could see was a very small & featureless white "planet" with four pin pricks of light "orbiting" it that I guess could have been moons.

Assuming my 'scope was pointing at Jupiter (it was pointing in roughly the right direction) should I not be seeing more with a scope of this size?!

If I'm just expecting too much please let me know.

Many thanks,

Mick.

It sounds like you did get Jupiter, as the view of the moons is a give away. With my C8 (same tube) I can see detail on Jupiter. Sometimes its just bands, other times its more detail. A couple of things might be affecting your view. Jupiter is very low at the moment and so atmospheric conditions can play a huge part in how much detail you can see. The other thing you might want to check is the collimation. Find a brightish star and defocus the scope - do you see nice concentric rings? or are the rings skewed to one side? If they're not concentric then collimation is out. If its badly out that can really affect the level of detail you'll see.

HTH

Helen

Hi Mick - the scope should give you pretty crisp views if it's collimated properly - I can make out the banding on jupiter very clearly at moments of good seeing with 10mm - but it's a bit low in the sky now and may appear to "bubble" and blur in the atmosphere. Try other objects - confirm your collimation - if the view is still not right then question your eyepieces - the supplied 40mm is a good guide - it's a reasonable quality but there are better. Also a good x2 barlow will help to fill the view.

Thanks for your reply Brantuk,

When I bought the 'scope I also purchased a set of Celestron Explorer eye pieces, are these any good or should I be looking to upgrade? (I only bought them as a certain online shop recommended them!)

If as I suspect you advise I upgrade could you give me any pointers as to quality equipment?

Thanks again,

Mick.

Archived