Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar/Lunar 'requirements'

Pollux

:iamwithstupid:Hi all,

Apologies if this has been done a dozen times before...

Lunar observing has no 'requirements' as such? but what tips/tricks do you suggest for 'improvements' ie filters, eyepieces etc?

My main question was on solar observing - never attempted it before, I would be using an 8" reflector (pick it up today WOOHOO) - now I know NOT to look thro it when pointed at the sun 'as is' - but if a filter was fitted? what sort? is it safe? what eyepieces etc... sooooo many questions!

Your advice would be greatly appreciated, with regard to your set-ups, techniques, tips & tricks... I'd love to give it a go?

Thanks in advance.

Kindest,

Mark

I can't help you with the sun. Only thing I can say is it's quick and easy to blind yourself permanently without having the proper filters. The brand that makes my scope haves them available for each of their scope models, but they aren't cheap. Try checking the manufacturer site of you scope or give a ring to the store where you bought it.

On the moon, a cheap neutral density (ND) filter can help a lot. The moon is too bright through a telescope and the ND filter acts like sunglasses and reduces the brightness without changing colors witch allows you to notice the details. Good collimation helps a lot too on sharpness, contrast and details.

Down the line you may want some nice planetary EPs for the moon and planets to improve contrast. The cheapest good ones are University Optics Orthoscopics (sold as CircleT in UK) or for a bit more the Baader Orthos. The design of this EPs provides superior contrast and sharpness but the FOV is narrow and if you use glasses it will be a challenge to look through them cause of the short eye relief. In that case a good barlow combined with your current EPs may be better.

Hi Mark, first be aware that a standard solar filter is for viewing sunspots and faculae. You'll need a special solar scope if you want to see those lovely 'proms' shooting out from the Sun's limb.

That being said, there are two types of solar filters... glass and fabric. When i first started out in all this, the only kind available was glass, so that's what i've always used. It produces a deep yellow-gold image. Then someone (Baader?) introduced the other one which i've heard is some sort of coated fabric and produces a white image with a hint of light blue.

Care must be taken when using the glass of course, because it can break. And from what i understand, the fabric needs to be handled very delicately because a kink or wrinkle in it will damage the coating. Oh, and always remember to cap your finderscope while solar observing. :)

It's best to observe the Sun early in the day, but not so early that it's still in the airmass. The airmass is the 30 degree zone just above the horizon, and viewing objects on such an oblique angle forces you to look through the thickest part of our atmosphere. Wait till the Sun is about three fists from the horizon, and if possible try to view it before noon. As the day progresses, the build-up of warmth degrades the seeing.. you want to view the Sun before this happens.

• 1 month later...

My first "sun glass" got a crack in it, I was very fortunate not to take a direct hit when I tried using it. I noticed a bright fleck, and immediately stopped observing. It took a while to find the crack, but sure enough it was there, a result of overtightening, after cleaning, I suspect.

Baader do solar film, from which modern solar filters are made. Reading the spec of this material makes me shudder, as it is a woven fabric with a coating. I have yet to try it, but shall need to make several filters soon.

A brave soul who did the experimentaion on this stuff.....

Baader do solar film, from which modern solar filters are made. Reading the spec of this material makes me shudder, as it is a woven fabric with a coating.

It isn't woven, it's a mylar sheet. Aluminized on both sides - so that any pinpricks in the caotings don't "go right through". Actaully a mylar/aluminimum/mylar/aluminimum/mylar sandwich, the coatings are protected from scuffing & corrosion due to salt spray etc. in the air (very common at my coastal location, and deadly to unprotected aluminimum).

It's tougher than the aluminised glass filters that used to be common, optically better and safe - when used according to the instructions, including inspecting for tears & splits before every use. Common sense really.

Shows more detail than projection - which is only practical for use with small refractors, because of the heat build up - and safer, especially for the hardware - modern eyepieces with cemented elements are easily damaged by the heat gathered by even a very small object glass.

The Baader solar film, mounted correctly is 100% safe for both visual observing and imaging of the sun.

It will show the Sun's surface in "white light" ie surface granulation and sunspots.

It is not mylar, but a patented film base and double coated with aluminum.

Baader Planetarium - tech information about Baaders AstroSolar

Ken

Archived