Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade Series 5000 EP's

are these any good? very pricey but i'm looking to get some real nice high end EP's, was going to start with a 5.5mm one Meade - Meade Series 5000 Super Plossl and then go for a super expensive ultra wide angle 30mm one for like £350, you know for those awesome views of large dso's :icon_eek:

but is it worth the money? are there better ones I could get for cheaper or the same price?

Recently purchased a 5000 5.5mm second hand. Not had a great deal of opportunity to use it yet, but what I have seen through it I like. Admittedly when I tried the moon with it and a 2x barlow lens [546x mag] that was pushing it a little, but you can't expect miracles:).

Recently purchased a 5000 5.5mm second hand. Not had a great deal of opportunity to use it yet, but what I have seen through it I like. Admittedly when I tried the moon with it and a 2x barlow lens [546x mag] that was pushing it a little, but you can't expect miracles:).

i'm hoping to mostly use it for getting larger views of the planets, with/without a barlow since the smallest I have is a 10mm right now

I got the Meade 5000 UWA 8.8mm eyepiece in Febuary 2008. Then it was £133. I have just spotted it now for £169.99. :) It`s a bit of a shock at how much the price have gone up.

But... it is a very good eyepiece. I have had some great views with it. According to my log book, my first view of M42 with it was "remarkable" and that I "hadn`t seen such extent of the nebula before" .

At the same time I purchased a Televue 20mm Nagler for £308 which I see is now £319.99 so not such a big jump in price there. Is it good.....oh yes. This eyepiece has helped me see things I would not have seen with the standard supplied Plossls.

Between the pair of them they have both managed to blow my socks off quite a few times.

I have a set of Meade 5000's standard Plossls all except for the 20mm and 40mm. I think they are fine eyepieces for the money. They perform very well in my SCT's, sharp almost to the edge and almost as good in my short focus fracs. I'm very pleased with them. Good eye relief even on the 5.5mm. I bought all mine scondhand and all in mint condition for between £30 and £60. Bargain IMHO.

Archived