Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which webcam can you recommend?

Hi folks,

after having seen so many great moon shots here that were done with a webcam, I would like to get myself one of those little things too.

I had my very old Canon 20D on my scope for the first time the other day, ahem, night, and the results only left sort of semi-happy-ish because I am just such a newbie.

Definately I would like to do much better in future and I think the first way forward is a webcam.

I read up a little and learnt quickly that the toUcam is not available anymore and the philips spc900nc is hard to get hold of too.

Which one are you using/ can you recommend?

Would it make any sense to use the video option on my Canon 5DmkII to get some decent images?

Here is the shot that I have done with the 20D...

Thank you for your help!

Cheers,

Martina

A1sm.jpg

Martina, I use a SPC900NC and a QHY5 (still woking out how to use this one properly though). I would imagine the canon's movie mode should be ok as long as it saves in avi and doesn't compress the frames.:icon_eek: Great moon shot BTW!

There are half a dozen SPC900NC on eBay today, ranging £40 to £70'ish, don't forget to add £22 for the 1.25" nose piece you have to fit.

Celestron Neximage runs at about £80 to £125'ish, they even have 2 on Farnell.

Meade LPI's I have seen going for £40'ish.

I've used them all for solar system imaging.

You can mod the SPC900NC and Neximage for long exposure if you want to go that way in the future.

Archived