Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

laptop crashes with raw files

just seems to be locking up as soon as i have clicked on the the the folder holding the pictures. the laptop is tip top with 3g ram centrino processer

It may be trying to generate thumbnail pics from the RAWs. If so it windows will have to use the driver/codec you installed for reading RAWs and it may cause a crash.

Uninstall any raw software you have to see if you can open the folder. After that use the software provided by canon for your OS. Picasa (free by google) also reads raws and provides basic image processing, or use photoshop.

yes the card is sd and i do not have any canon software for the camera.

i will try taking fewer shots on the card maybe i over loaded it with to many raw files i should have photo shop tommrow maybe that will help .....

thanks

newby j.finn

I don't think it is a problem with there being too many files on the sd card or the type of file. There may be a problem with the card itself or the built-in card reader on your laptop. Do you have another card with files from another source and try to load them onto your laptop ?

Can you still view the photographs on your camera ?

Lastly, where did you buy the SD card ?

Peter

To be honest the easiest way of downloading the pictures, if not using PS is to use ZoomBrowserEX, and let that handle it.

As for RAW on the SD Card (probably worth noting for all cards and cameras too), a word of caution... never totally fill the card. The number of shots available is an estimate. Because of the size of RAW files, and how much they vary, you can end up in a state where one or two of your images get corrupted trying to write them to the card as whilst the camera estimates there is enough room based on an average sized raw image, there isn't really. This has happened to me.

Archived