Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Choosing my first equipment

Hey all!

I am a novice astronomer who is about to purchase his first telescope. A 4th grader would also be using it. I have 2 in mind, with 2 very different prices. I could get the cheaper one, but then I would probably move up to a larger diameter later and then lose money on selling the current. Or purchase the larger and more expensive now, and be done for quite some time. Anyhow, I was looking for any advice on both of these 'scopes, Are they worth the money and which one is the better buy? I have heard that Celestron is better than Mead. It's no secret that you can buy cheapy Mead's at Big 5 etc. (guilty of buying one), so I am a little wary of their quality since they seem to be enveloping the toy market also. Anyhow here are the 2 I looked at:

NEXSTAR 6SE

NexStar 6SE Computerized Telescope (item #11068) / Celestron.com - Telescope | Computerized Telescopes | Microscopes | Binoculars | SkyScout

CELESTRON GPS 800

CPC 800 GPS (XLT) Computerized Telescope (item #11073-XLT) / Celestron.com - Telescope | Computerized Telescopes | Microscopes | Binoculars | SkyScout

Thanks all!

Mark

hi

if you think you will be upgrading anyway, go for the most expensive first, no point in buying a scope, and sell it with loss, if you know this is for you, and that you will be wanting something better.

so if the money isnt an issue, go big.

alfi

If you don't really need the Goto mount, then a big Dobsonian is the way to go IMHO.

John

To me a dob with a telrad finder and a good sky atlas are the most fun way to go. But that's a personal choice. GOTOs are great, in fact my scope haves it, but I don't use it cause, for me, it takes out one of the most interesting parts of the hobby.

If you want the big one and money isn't a problem go for it.

If you want a cheaper big one go for a manual dobsodian. That way you really have to learn the sky, besides enjoying observing you'll also enjoy the learning process and the trill of finding things for yourself and save a lot of cash. The dob also haves virtually no setup time and no fiddling with recharging batteries in advance, polar alignments, etc.

Hi Mark,

if you are in the market for a celestron 800 cpc have a look in the for sale section , link below.

http://stargazerslounge.com/sale/92125-celestron-cpc-9-25-sale.html

this chap selling a year old 925 cpc for the same price you are thinking of spending on a 800 cpc, these scopes are very good , best buy in the papers for 2 years running and i don`t think you can go wrong, i have a 6" nexstar and i love it, so a 925 would be amazing to look through.

good luck with your choice.

Rob

Its the same old answer: the best scope is one thats gets used the most, now FLO have IMHO a cracker of a deal and all who know me know that if I say its a good deal it must be lol, I'M TIGHT: its cel 9.25 with a Goto mount at £1300 or £1399, its a scope for life bud, the mounts are not the best but I've still got one and when polar aligned correctly there a good mount, the scope is about as good an all round one as you can get. Its in their clearance section OR have a think about NICE second refractor theres loads knocking about on flea bay (but becareful).

Archived