Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Are these stars in M31?

Tim

Or clusters perhaps? JohnH made a great post a while ago about the globular clusters in M31.

Earlier in the week I posted a core of M31 picture, but it was resized.

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/91705-m32-m110-inter-galactic-light-pollution.html#post1325790

This detail, although jpegged, is at least, original size. You can see swathes of lighter areas in M31, but are they stars, or groups of stars? The star forming regions in the heavy dust show up much better like this too.

Wouldn't it be great to see a picture of our own galaxy from a similar viewpoint!

This section belongs in the top right hand corner of my original pic. QHY8 on Skywatcher Mak-Newt 190.

Cheers

TJ

tj-albums-mak-newt-190-pictures-picture3368-m31-core-detail.jpg

There was a great picture in last months Sky @ Night (or it might have been AN) of M31 taken by Hubble and it looked just like a star field in the Milky Way. It was amazing seeing individual stars in another galaxy. I think in that attached image the brighter stars are most likely in the Milky Way, foreground - or globs in around M31.

Archived