Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SCT Threading focus barrels....

I have just discovered that I can screw my entire Camera + Filter wheel + FR into my Williams Optics - yeah, I know I am a bit slow - d'oh!

I am thinking of seeing if I can get my other focuser barrels SCT threaded as well, as it removes the point of flexsure. Does anyone know of a suitable vendor to do this job, and who you would trust?!

I am talking about taking the barrels from my other focusers, and getting them ground down and threaded on the top end, instead of those silly grubscrews!

Cheers,

Richie

Hello Richie.

I just had a main OTA extension made for me by Barry Watts at Beacon Hill telescopes, so it's worth giving him a ring.

Here's the thread....his number is...01507 363381 (he's not on the web)

How's life?

Cheers

Rob

Brian - I think you've missed the point - my filter wheel and FR are already SCT threaded. And I already have SCT to 2" barrel converters. They are just not sturdy enough!

Rob - thanks - I'll give him a shout! Life is good at the moment ta - hows life on the road??

I already have SCT to 2" barrel converters. They are just not sturdy enough!

Hmmm. The device I linked to is a 2" to T adapter which unscrews to provide seperate 2" push in to SCT & SCT to T2 adapters. I have one of these & can assure you that it's solid as a rock. If you want to attach a SCT threaded filter wheel / focal reducer to a scope with a 2" focuser this doodah will do the job adequately.

Hi Brian,

The problem is not the connections between the camera, filter wheel and FR - those are all either T-adaptor or SCT screw fittings and work perfectly. The problem is getting the camera attached to the scopes in such a way that it cannot move.

My camera rig weighs in at 1.5kgs - when a 2" barrel is used, the grip point is a simple grub screw with brass compression rings - there are 2 problems with this:

1. The 2" barrels are never a 'tight' fit, so the camera is always slightly offset

2. No matter how hard you push the camera assembly against the scope, there is always some slip after you have tightened the grub-screw, which invites flexsure between the camera assembly and the scope.

There is another solution that I had forgotten, but had just remembered - one of these:

Hotech adaptador 2" SCA a T

Cheers,

Richie

The SCT to T thread adaptor - would this work for you?

I use it to support a beamsplitter and a spectroscope with imaging and guide camera attached....about 4 Kg all up.

Gives a "solid" connection BUT if the load is sitting off-axis the adaptors (T thread) can unscrew themselves!!! I found out from bitter experience!!! Now I add a safety strap ( 1" x 1/8") between the spectroscope and a piggyback camera adaptor on the rear cell.

This also allows you to take up any "sag" in the focuser/ fittings. Holds everything tight and in place.

Just ordered a Hotech from FLO - now just have to hide it from the missus when it arrives! :headbang:

I already use an SCT to T-thread adaptor to connect my Truetech to the FR or WO 66 - it works perfectly - was wanting to duplicate this across all my scopes, but I think the Hotech will do the trick just as well!

Safety strap on your cameras - yes! definitely - I learnt this lesson the hard way when my SXV-H9 fell out - thank god for the SX Guidehead cable, as that arrested the H9's fall!

Cheers,

Richie

Actually - just thinking - I now need an SCT to T-Adaptor - SCT male to T-Adaptor female - do you have a link Merlin?

Bob - thanks for the kind comments - its my first venture into writing for the Magazines, so pretty chuffed about that! Glad you enjoyed it :headbang:

Cheers,

Richie

Archived