Stellarium is a free open source

Hi everone

Have seen this on some blogs but when I started to down load it my computer security did not like it and says it's has spy ware in it, as anyone had any problems with this Stellarium site ?

Doug

I`ve had no problems with stellarium. I downloaded it to two laptops and the only issue i had was i couldn`t make out the constellation lines on one laptop, which i think was to do with the screen anyway.

Im a complete newbie to all of this but i have the Stellarium software and looking south out of my window i can see a very bright star, the only star visible at the moment. On Stellarium this directly matches up with Jupiter, which i know isnt true. Ive look on a star map and it seems to be a star called Achernar. Can anyone from Kent confirm this. Im so confused.

" i couldn`t make out the constellation lines on one laptop"

Check the display driver and update it...I had the same problem..But dont use windows to update it cos it said on mine i had an up to date driver, but when i checked on the manufacturers site they had a more up to date one....sorted now!

" i couldn`t make out the constellation lines on one laptop"

Check the display driver and update it...I had the same problem..But dont use windows to update it cos it said on mine i had an up to date driver, but when i checked on the manufacturers site they had a more up to date one....sorted now!

Thanks martin

I`ll try that.

Hi cloud9

The books assume that you are observing in the dark. You will see bright stars and the brighter planets - Jupiter & Venus - in twilight if you know where to look.

The planets ("wonderers" from an arabic word, I believe) appear to move around the sky against a background of "fixed" stars. This year Jupiter is easily seen in the south in October/November.

We seem to have sort of "Hi-jacked" this Stellarium thread - PLEASE do not be offended by my saying this!!!! If you have any more questions start a thread of your own and I'm sure that there will be lots of replies. The folk are VERY friendly on this forum - don't be shy! And remember everyone here was a beginner once and all of us know just how difficult it is to get a grasp on such a vast subject.

I don't think you will give up - you obviously have an enquiring mind!!!!

Archived