Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from a wet and windy Bathgate

Iris

Hi folks, I just stumbled across this forum a few days ago and it seems like a good place to hang out and glean some serious information on all things astronomic.

I'm a bit of a late developer to this game, though always having a passing interest in the night sky and one or two false starts in the last decade or so when I oh so nearly got myself a scope but never quite took the plunge for all the various reasons.

After a number of years concentrating on career oriented education I decided recently to take up the OU cudgels again this time following my interests in Astronomy and Astrophysics... eek though my maths will need a bit of brushing up first!

I have just taken the opportunity to grab my first starter scope a Meade ETX 80 which will do for now though It's kinda hard not to cast admiring glances in other directions lol... when funds permit perhaps! anyways thought I'd say hi for now.

John

Hi John welcome to SGL,

I'm not too far from Bathgate and like you I've always had a passing interest in the night sky, but I only got a scope for the first time this year - congrats on finally taking the plunge, it's a great feeling!! :rolleyes:

I'm afraid there's quite a lot of wet and windy nights - I seem to notice them more now that I own a scope, still the clear and crisp winter nights usually make up for it. :)

Cheers

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Welcome to the forum John what OU courses

are you doing ? I'm currently doing 197 and 196.

I'm sure you'll enjoy it here, very friendly and full

of lots of great advice.

I'm not too far away from you as well as I'm in

edinburgh.

Kathleen

I'm doing 194 just now Kathleen with 197 to follow next year along with some maths refersher - I have the credits in M101 from aeons ago which basically seems to cover the material in MST121 + M221 but I am so rusty that I am not confident in my maths at all so I will probably do both 121 and 221 to regroup before going for the heavy stuff :-)

I figured that the short courses would help whet my appetite/keep me interested while I do the less fun maths brush up or I wont be ready to tackle the really interesting stuff in 282 or 382.

But before I get to those I will probably have to take a detour via 207 and probably 104 first to get the grounding right so I might end up throwing 196 in the mix at some stage as well to keep the interest up :-)

How do you find the viewing in town? I think the light pollution is bad enough here! - far to many close street lamps for my liking - i'm gonna look around for local dark spots (fortunately the scope is v portable)...

Hi John welcome to SGL,

I'm not too far from Bathgate and like you I've always had a passing interest in the night sky, but I only got a scope for the first time this year - congrats on finally taking the plunge, it's a great feeling!! :rolleyes:

I'm afraid there's quite a lot of wet and windy nights - I seem to notice them more now that I own a scope, still the clear and crisp winter nights usually make up for it. :)

Cheers

Hey Steve - certainly enough wet and windy nights hereabouts thats for sure though funnily enough the first two nights after I got the toy were reasonably clear to try it out :-)

Are you aware of any nice dark spots in WL for viewing?

John

How do you find the viewing in town? I think the light pollution is bad enough here! - far to many close street lamps for my liking - i'm gonna look around for local dark spots (fortunately the scope is v portable)...

John

Well I go outside of town to view John quite often along with some other observers in the Central belt. There is a forum where we setup and arrange viewing sessions etc if your interested :

Scottish Astronomers

Good luck with the courses, I'll probably be doing some of

those modules myself !

Kathleen

Are you aware of any nice dark spots in WL for viewing?

Hi john

Kathleen has beat me to it, there are several darksites throughout Central Scotland that the observers group use. There's a really good one about 30mins from you, all the directions are on the forum. :rolleyes:

Cheers

Archived