Max angle of a Dob

I am thinking of getting a Skywatcher 200mm Dob. All the pictures I can find of Dobs. show them at, how can I describe it, "mortar firing" angle.

Will a Skywatcher Dob. operate at a near vertical angle or does the base inhibit that ?

I find it rather difficult with my current alt-az mounted refractor to observe anything almost directly overhead - would like to avoid that limitation with the next purchase.

The dobson hole is wierd.

There is nothing mechanically complicated but it's just the fact that at the zenith, the 'scope never seems to be quite in the right place and when you do need to move it to get to your target, you have to play mental contortions with deciding what axis to move where.

Best to wait !

If the Dob is pointing straight up you can get where you want to be by pushing gently on the side bearings ( located at the balance point ) rather than the front half of the scope where you normally would traverse from. Piece of cake really:D Get her bought!!!

Archived