What the ?? (prompt replies appreciated!)

All, I'm currently out with my scope (picked up on friday) and trying to view jupiter. When I get onto it, all I see is a patch of light with the secondary and spider in shadow on it. Focussing doesn't seem to alter this (racking in and out),

OK, what newbie mistake have I made? :rolleyes::)

Focussing doesn't seem to alter this (racking in and out),

It should at least alter the size of the "donut". If it doesn't the focuser isn't operating. Some of them have a knurled locking nut - have you tightened this up?

All, I'm currently out with my scope (picked up on friday) and trying to view jupiter. When I get onto it, all I see is a patch of light with the secondary and spider in shadow on it. Focussing doesn't seem to alter this (racking in and out),

OK, what newbie mistake have I made? :rolleyes::)

I only see the shadow of the spiders without an eyepiece in the focuser. with an EP, even completely out of focus, the spiders don't show, only the circular shadow of the secondary becomes visible.

As doc said, put an EP in and try to focus even at day time on some far terrestrial object, DON'T POINT AT THE SUN!

If you cant achieve focus try moving the EP up, away from the focuser, slowly to see if you could achieve focus with an extension tube.

Edit: Ops. posted at the same time. http://www.astronomica.co.uk/index.php/Accessories/Adaptors/View-all-products.html

3rd item is a 2" extension tube.

8th is a 1.25" extension tube.

You should probably contact you seller 1st, since this is not normal, at least with the provided EPs/focuser.

Some eyepieces will reach focus at different points. You are going to need a cheap extention tube, they are not expensive as no glass is involved, it's just a metal or plastic tube.

Are your other eyepieces the same?

Ok, fixed it (sort of) Doc is right, when I pull the eyepiece out of the focuser it comes to focus (jup's beautiful BTW). So, I assume this is a spend more $$ problem?

If this was a new scope don't spend more £'s / $'s until you have talked to the supplier.

John

Did you specify that the telescope be configured for imaging? If so then they might have fitted a low profile focuser (so you would definitely need a 2-inch focus extender).

Best to have a chat with Orion Optics tomorrow.

Spoke to John at Orion Optics today. Yep, it needs a focus tube extension. You know, like the one they include with all their scopes. The one I thought was a 2" eyepiece holder

picard_ashamed.jpg

LOL. I think we all been there. I made a couple of newbie mistakes since I started 2 months ago.

Glad it all worked out.

Archived