NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Guiding scope.

Could some one advise me on a suitable guiding scope to compliment my Skywatcher 80DS Pro scope. I've decided on the QHY5 as a guiding cam, I'll be using PHD or guidedog as the guiding software as I've set up EQMOD through my laptop and EQ6 pro mount. I'll be mounting the guide scope on top of the main scope for now. I'll probably go for a side by side later on, if and when I decide to buy a bigger main scope. I see that a lot of people are using the ST80 as a guiding scope, any comments and advice appreciated.

Thank you all.

The ST80 is pretty good for the money it costs, plus it's pretty small, not that that is a problem on the EQ6. The only thing would be that when you get a bigger scope in the future, you'll be able to guide with the 80DS, so the ST80 will become redundant. That's what happened to me and it rarely gets used, except as a grab and go scope, on it's EQ1 mount (and that is pretty rare!)

HTH

Adam

Archived